Whitney, My love

Posted by reviewer | 5:06 p.m. | , , , | 3 comments »

Whitney, my love, By Judith McNaught
Publisher-Pocket books, June 2000 (re print)
Grade: B+

Back cover reads: Under the dark, languorous eyes of Clayton Westmoreland, the Duke of Claymore, Whitney Stone grew from a saucy hoyden into a ravishingly sensual woman. Fresh from her triumphs in Paris society, she returned to England to win the heart of Paul, her childhood love...only to be bargained away by her bankrupt father to the handsome, arrogant Duke. Outraged, she defies her new lord. But even as his smoldering passion seduces her into a gathering storm of desire, Whitney cannot -- will not -- relinquish her dream of perfect love.

I give many thanks to Ames and Zeek for suggesting that I read this book. I'm not a fan of 'Classics', and since its written on the front, back and inside of the book how much of a 'classic' this novel is, I had been putting off reading it.

Whitney, who is a less than lady like teenager, is in love with Paul. She goes out of her way to be around him and draw attention to herself. It's never good attention. Her father has had enough, so he send her to live with her aunt and uncle in Paris. While in Paris she blossoms into a beautiful woman, who follows propriety. She has gotten many offers of marriage, but she is holding out for her childhood love back home.

During her years in Paris she becomes good friends with a wealthy man from a good family, who is also the brothers of a friend. Thats Nickie. Nickie courts Whitney, but she is clear that she just wishes to be friends.

Meanwhile, a Duke has been noticing Whitney. He tries to flirt with her but she is pretty curt with him and doesn't at all fall for him smooth talking ways. The Duke of Claymore decides he wants to make Whitney his mistress, so he has her investigated, and finds out that her father is almost in the poorhouse. Then he decides that he wants to make her his wife, so he gives her father one hundred thousand dollars for her hand. As you can imagine, Whitney is not at all pleased about that.

Whitney is torn between her love for Paul, her passion for Clayton, and she also deals with Nickie wanting to marry her all at the same time.

It took everything in my power not to flip to the back pages and see who she ends up with. One minute I was rooting for Nickie, then I wanted her to be with Paul, then I yelled at her to give Clayton a chance. I had a hard as time making up my mind as she did.

There are over 700 pages in this book, and there is a whole lot going on, but it;s no confusing at all. There is never a dull moment, and I didn't want to put the book down for a second.

What I liked: The ending was really sweet. I realise that the author re wrote the ending, and I have not read the original, but this one was great. It takes place after the birth of Whitney's first child and a tradition is upheld.

I also liked how the hero was patient with her. She treated him badly a lot, but he never gave up on her. Although, There are times when he was pretty damn mean to her. I actually felt my bottom lip quiver at one point, and I almost started to cry

What I did not like: Speaking of crying; Whitney cried a lot. Usually I don't complain about heroines who cry, because I am a big cry baby, but she cried all the time.


Maybe it was part of the re write-I don't know, but near the end there are way to many pages dedicated to Whitney's brother, and a woman he doesnt even end up with. Those pages bored me, and then angered me. Why make us read all that? There was no reason for it. If not it, I would have said this was a perfect book. Oh well, I'm sure it will stay one of my favourites for a long time just the same.

Besides the ending re write, I'm told that there are 2 extra scenes. Does anyone know which scenes are missing from the original release? I'm just curious.

3 comments

  1. ~ames~ // 3:24 p.m.  

    WTF? I didn't even realize there was a rewrite and some extra scenes. BLAH. LOL Let me know if you ever find out, k?

  2. Holly // 12:50 a.m.  

    I don't like this book. Between Clay and Whit I was about to pull my ever lovin hair out. Sheesh.

    However, I DO know what scenes were added. She actually re-wrote the scene where Whit loses her cherry. In the original book, Clayton raped her. Not the sort-of, not-quite, almost rape in this one, but a full on, downright rape of her. I guess she decided to rewrite it for obvious reason. :)

    The ending is the second.

    Oh, wait. Was there one more? I can't remember now. lol

    I think I liked this book the first time I read it, but with every re-read I just get more and more irritated with the stupidity of Whitney. Can we say TSTL any louder here? Ugh.

    K, I'm done. ;)

  3. Anonymous // 7:57 p.m.  

    Here is a link to where the author talks about the original scene.
    http://www.likesbooks.com/mcnaught.html#4

    Interesting.

    I would like to get my hands on the original to compare it for myself though.

    Zeek, I understand what you are saying. Forced seduction and all that.
    When you read forced seductions there is the reluctant woman. She says no, and her body says yes type of thing. The scene ends in an orgasm with the heroine moving her hips in tune with his.
    That bothers me.

    I guess it isn't rape by today's standards. I don't know. I don't like having to think about it so much. Thats why I was afraid to read any Johanna Lindsey, but I have read 4 in the last 2 months. Go figure.