All about Evie

Posted by reviewer | 9:55 p.m. | , , | 3 comments »

All about Evie by Beth Ciotta

Published by HQN
Grade B+


CASTING CALL NOTICE: Seeking actress for role of ditzy former Vegas showgirl Sugar Dupont. Must possess strong vocals, outgoing personality and great gazongas. Well, two out of three ain't bad. A showbiz veteran Evie Parish, knows she has the chops to sing and dance with the best. A Wonderbra should take care of the rest. YOUR FUTURE PARTNER: Arch, aka Charles Dupont, a doting older husband. THE GIG: Eight days of smooching, fawning, and otherwise making a PDA spectacle of yourselves on a Caribbean cruise. AND... THE CATCH: Arch is one of a team of former con men staging a sting to catch a grifter--and under his stage makeup, he's the sexiest hunk ever to don a fake moustache.


When I first opened this book I wasn't so sure about it. It started off funny and with a bang. Heroine is a hoot! Then I met the Hero. Oh, boy. He has the worst accent. "Were not talking aboot me, but since you're pointing the finger, I've never stolen a bloody penny. I dinnae have to."

He smokes. Ew. He also turns many of his sentences into a question. He will say.. "Let's go over it one more time, yeah?", "If you recall I did say Curtis with a twist, yeah?"

Pretty distracting isn't it? It happened a lot.

As soon as all that stuff came to light I braced myself for a bad read. You know what? It didn't happen. This book was fregan awesome! The dialogue, plot, emotions and writing is so good that I had no problem getting past the way Arch talks, and his gross smoking.

Midway through the book I thought all his 'yeah's' were cute.
So, Arch isn't perfect, and thats okay. I like him as he is.

Our Heroine is Evie. She is a 40 something actress/singer. She is spunky, perky and extremely cool. Her ex husband, who is also her agent, dumped her for a younger women. Evie hasn't gotten over that very well. Tired of all the younger women getting the good parts, she begs her agent/ex to let her have the mysterious job on a cruise ship. Her role is pretty straight forward. She is to play the part of the sexy bubbly younger wife to an older writer. It's for a ton of money, and she gets to sail on a fancy ship. She jumps at the chance.

Evie's co star is uber sexy Arch. A former con man who is in disguise and trying to trap a man who cons the elderly and murdered his grandfather.

The sexual tension created by these two had me fanning my face. When they hit the sheets, they did it well and good. Have I mentioned how sexy Arch is? I think I got jealous when Evie got to lick his tattoo. I want to lick his tattoo.

Milo, a man who works with Arch has the hots for Evie, but he doesn't let it show. Instead, he watches Evie from afar. I enjoy Milo. At first he is not happy with having Evie around. Milo and Arch are professionals who do things just this side of legal in order to bring down people who target the innocent. He worries that Evie will mess things up. It doesn't take him long to see that she is a great actress, and can be trusted.

The relationship between Arch and Evie isn't set in stone. She doesn't know his last name and even though she has strong feelings for him, she doesn't completely trust him.

At the end of the book Evie is able to convince Milo to let her join their team. She will be using her fantastic acting skills to help bring down the bad guys.

All about Evie is the first book in a trilogy. I have a sneaking suspicion that Milo will be making the moves on her in book two. It's my hope that she will be married to Arch by the end of the third book.

I'm very excited for the next book in this trilogy to be released. I love Evie!

3 comments

  1. nath // 8:17 a.m.  

    hey Chantal :D now, this book is on my list to buy!!! :D I'm glad you enjoyed the book so much :D

  2. Kris // 10:35 p.m.  

    I have not heard of this book or this author, sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing.

  3. nath // 7:39 a.m.  

    Bought the book, although I don't know when I'm going to read it :D LOL :)