Anita Blake books 1-6

Posted by Chantal | 1:20 p.m. | , | 7 comments »

Anita Blake, Vampire hunter is a series that I started based on curiosity. People seem to have a real hate-on for the later books, so I had to see what all the fuss was about. I had heard of the author, and even tried to read one of her books. It didn't go well. It was called Mistral's Kiss, you may read what I had to say about it here.

This is not going to be a review post as much as it's going to be an update/progress report on how I feel about the books so far. If you have not read any of the books, then you wont know what I am talking about, but if you have read them, then please add your thoughts on the books up to this point. If you are just starting the series, then be warned that this post has spoilers up to book 6, The Killing Dance.

After I finished book one, Guilty Pleasures, I thought that it was a good book. It had a good plot, although it was full on inconsistencies, and Anita was repetitive in her dialogue. I was told that it just gets worse with each book, but I'm pleased to say that the inconsistencies (at least for me) stopped at the first book.

I told myself that I wasn't going to run out and read all the books. Oh, I lied. Big time. If you check out my read list, you'll see that I read the last 3 back to back. It's not that this is the best series that I have read, I have read better. The truth is that I wanted to know who Anita would sleep with first. I was a tad worried that it would be a boring scene. That happened to me with Janet Evanovich's Plum series. I was waiting and waiting for Stephanie to sleep with Ranger, and when it finally happened it was pretty anti climatic.

That didn't happen here. It was a good scene. Minus having such pale skin, and being a dead guy, Jean-Claude is hot.

I was rooting for Anita to sleep with Jean-Claude first, but then I felt really bad for Richard.

I keep going back and forth on my feelings about Richard. At first I didn't trust him at all. Then I liked him better than Jean-Claude, then I liked Jean-Claude better because Richard was acting so wimpy, then I went back to liking Richard. Agh!

Anita is such a kick ass chick (and she would HATE me calling her a chick, lol) even thought I like Richard at the moment I don't see them being a good couple. I think Jean-Claude understands her better. Anita may not need protection, but I feel that Jean-Claude can protected her better. I don't see Jean-Claude losing control and physically hurting Anita the way Richard has. Having said that, I don't think Jean-Claude loves her as deeply as Richard does.

I'm betting that my entire opinion about that will change as I read on though.

I love all the characters in Anita's world. They are as interesting and exciting as Anita is.

Willie the Vampire, Dorph, Stephen, Jason, Ronnie and especially Larry. I enjoy them all. I'm having fun trying to figure out who is truly loyal, and who is going to be the next betrayer.

Something I have heard about the newer Anita Blake books is that Anita turns into a big ole slut, and sleeps with pretty much every male in the books. I am very curious to find out why shes doing that. She spent the first 5 books saying that sex is special and that she wont do it again before she gets married. I just started Burnt Offering, and she is dating Jean-Claude, probably sleeping with him...I'm not sure, as I am only on chapter 2, but I assume she is sleeping with him. It will be neat to see how she goes from being torn between 2 men to banging everyone with a penis.

Something interesting, is that at my library these books are put into several different categories. The first 5 are listed as Horror, then book 6 is romance, right now I'm on book 7 and they have it as Fantasy. Book 8 is in front of my as well, and it is listed as Fantasy, too.

Ames was right, these books are addictive! It's not a bad addiction like smoking, nose picking and JR Ward's BDB books are. At least it's not a bad addiction YET. I'm still hoping that y'all are wrong about the newer books being bad.

So yeah, I'm liking this series :)

7 comments

  1. ErinPaperbackstash // 3:51 p.m.  

    I was a huge Anita Blake fan, and read all 10 books back to back twice. The rest of the series REALLY goes down hill, people are NOT exaggerating. I won't spoil as to why, though, but it's not something most people like. Glad you've enjoyed the first six.

  2. Anonymous // 10:41 p.m.  

    I will not spoil the later books for you. But let me say this--- these books are written in first person, so if Anita hates something WE will tend to hate it too. If she is overwhelmed, consumed or threatened by something, WE will probably feel the same way. If it's no big deal to her, just part of her life, that is how WE will see it too.

    There is more I want to discuss with you as you finish the later books. I have an analogy that sums up my interpretation of what is happening in those books.

    Oh, and unlike the ABVH books. I can't see ANY way that you would have gotten ANY enjoyment out of Mistral's Kiss without first reading the previous books. They are just too complicated for a casual read. Plus, I have to admit that Mistral's Kiss is by far the weakest book of the series. Yet it still has a deceptive amount of pivotal scenes/ situations/ information in it.

  3. nath // 8:24 a.m.  

    well looks like you're enjoying the series :D I'm glad LOL :) and you are brave to start a series that everyone says is going downhill.

  4. CindyS // 7:27 p.m.  

    The thing is the first 10 books rock. Okay by book 9 things were getting iffy but book 10 took you to Edward who I loved like a crazy fangirl. So enjoy the first 10 books cause they show you what those of us who were fangirls loved about LKH.

    I finally broke my addiction but I'll tell you why if you can stand reading to where I did. And I can't wait to hear qb's interpretation of the books because I never understood what happened. (Unless you know too much about her private life and then you kind of know exactly what's going on)

    I was always, always, always a Jean-Claude girl and I think he loves Anita more than anyone ever will. I think he accepts all that she is even when he doesn't like what is happening. I never warmed up to Richard.

    Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

    CindyS

  5. Anonymous // 11:06 p.m.  

    Cindy, I DO know a bit about her personal life. And I can tell you that a whole lot of people added up 2 + 2 and got 5.

    Unfortunately, as many times as LKH has refuted some of the stories about her personal life, it's just more fun to repeat what misinformed people say than it is to repeat the truth.

    I have to say though, that I have no problem with people attacking an author's work, but I DO get defensive when an author's personal life or family are attacked. And that goes for ANY author, not just LKH. However, it seems she must have a great big red target painted on her back or something. People that would never dream about mentioning an author's personal life normally, feel perfectly free to speculate or attack LKH about her personal life.

    *stepping down from soapbox now*

  6. reviewer // 8:32 p.m.  

    Hmm, I can't wait to see what happens with Anita to change her...and the books so much.

    Thanks for the feedback gals!

  7. Rowena // 1:53 a.m.  

    I've never read any of these books and I really don't plan on reading them anytime soon since I'm just not that into paranormals right now. But hey, Happy Reading sweetie! =)