Lean mean thirteen by Janet Evanovich

Published by St. Martins

MISTAKE #1
Dickie Orr. Stephanie was married to him for about fifteen minutes before she caught him cheating on her with her arch-nemesis Joyce Barnhardt. Another fifteen minutes after that Stephanie filed for divorce, hoping to never see either one of them again.
MISTAKE #2
Doing favors for super bounty hunter Carlos Manoso (a.k.a. Ranger). Ranger needs her to meet with Dickie and find out if he's doing something shady. Turns out, he is. Turns out, he's also back to doing Joyce Barnhardt. And it turns out Ranger's favors always come with a price...
MISTAKE #3
Going completely nutso while doing the favor for Ranger, and trying to apply bodily injury to Dickie in front of the entire office. Now Dickie has disappeared and Stephanie is the natural suspect in his disappearance. Is Dickie dead? Can he be found? And can Stephanie Plum stay one step ahead in this new, dangerous game? Joe Morelli, the hottest cop in Trenton, NJ is also keeping Stephanie on her toes-and he may know more than he's saying about many things in Stephanie's life. It's a cat-and-mouse game for Stephanie Plum, where the ultimate prize might be her life.


Stephanie Plum is back in Lean mean thirteen. I am very happy to finally be caught up in the series. I'm not sure when the next book will be out, but now I get to wait around for it with the rest of you.

My man Ranger is the reason Stephanie gets into trouble this time. He asks her to plant some bugs on her ex husband, Dickie. She ends up getting into a fight with him at his office and when he goes missing, she is the first person they suspect of hurting him.

Lean mean thirteen is very much like every other Plum novel. Not much has changed. Well, instead of her cars getting blown up, some stuffed animals get blown up. Ranger is still stealing kisses from Stephanie while she sleeps with Morelli. She still has very bad luck when it comes to being a bounty hunter, but she gets the job done.

Ranger talked a lot in this one. We learned a little bit about his childhood, and he once again makes it clear that he like and respects Morelli, but he wont hesitate to jump between Stephanie's legs should she and Joe split up. Gosh, Ranger is hot! Babe.

I wish that there had been more Lula and Grandma Mazur. Even better, more of them together!

I mentioned in a previous review that I thought Stephanie was over stepping when it came to how she acts with Ranger while she is on again with Morelli. It made me feel bad for Morelli and now I find that I like him better than I used to. Before, I would rush through scenes with Stephanie and Joe, trying to find one with Steph and Ranger. Now I happily read Joe moments. I'm still a Ranger girl at heart though.

As funny as hell, but very predictable. Janet Evanovich has written other Plum books that are predictable, but still interesting, so I know she can do it. C+. this time. I don't want the author to change the Plum formula, I like it. But I hope to see some of the older characters come back, and please please please give us some more Stephanie and Ranger sex. Please!
I also wanted to add that I love the voice of Lorelei King, who reads the Plum books on audio. It took me some time to get used to her Ranger voice, but I have really grown into it. I have only been able to get 3 or 4 of the Plum books on audio, but each time has been a great experience.
My reviews for books 1-12,

3 comments

  1. Anonymous // 9:19 a.m.  

    I have not read any of these books yet. I like the idea of starting a series knowing that more is available right away. First I need to finish my oh so favorite contemp romance The Sapphire Pendant. The drama, the lasting love. I love it all. Thanks for the review. I hope to start the series soon.

  2. Rowena // 1:47 a.m.  

    Okay seriously....I'm a cupcake girl ALL.THE.WAY. I seriously love me some Joe Morelli. haha...

    I haven't read this one or the one before I don't think but reading this review has made me want to read them, I stopped reading them because I wanted Steph to choose one but I don't know, it's been awhile so maybe I'll change my mind about it...

    ...so in this one, she's ON again with Morelli, huh? Is she living with him or what?

    Great review sweets, LOVE Grandma Mazur and Lula..those are the best characters in this book, aside from Morelli of course...haha.

  3. Chantal // 2:20 p.m.  

    Wow, Melissa, you are spamming that book at pretty much every blog that I go to.
    You are sneaky enough to make it not look like spam even though it is.
    Clever.

    Ro, Joe is hot. I'll give you that.
    Evanovich has said that as long as the series lives on, then Steph will not pick one or the other. ONce she picks a man for good, then it will be the last book :(

    Yes, she is on again with Joe in this one. She does not live with him anymore. They lived together a few time but it never worked out. Joe really hates her job and wants her to sit at home and bake him cookies. Steph isn't down with that at all.