Lover Unbound

Posted by reviewer | 3:16 p.m. | , , | 14 comments »

Lover Unbound by JR Ward

Published by Signet

The ruthless and brilliant brother Vishous possesses a destructive curse and a frightening ability to see the future. As a member of the Brotherhood, he has no interest in love or emotion, only the battle with the Lessening Society. But when a mortal injury puts him in the care of a human surgeon, Dr. Jane Whitcomb compels him to reveal his inner pain and taste true pleasure for the first time-until a destiny he didn't choose takes him into a future that does not include her...


I'm not even sure where to start. Lover Unbound is V's story. We know from the other books that he has visions of the future, but they stopped working. They are back to working in this book. His arm is also cursed. He keeps it covered with a leather glove, because it can cause things to catch fire.

V is taken to the ER after he is shot while he is fighting Lessors. He instantly recognizes Dr. Jane as his mate, so when some of the other Brothers come to get him, he asks them to bring Jane along.

It's not long before Jane figures out that she is among Vampires. She is frightened at first, but her curiosity over rides her fear and she soon accepts what V is.

Because of the bonding, V and Jane have a very strong connection with one another. Even though Jane is free to go, she wants to stay with V. Unfortunately, V has been commanded by the Scribe virgin to be the Primale of the Chosen. That means he will be mated with one special Chosen, but will have the right to have sex with the other 40 Chosen. That needs to be done so that a new generation of Brothers may be created.
This obviously puts a kink in the plans for V and Jane to be together. It all ends up working out in a very odd way in the end though.

Please highlight the area below for major spoilers.

Okay, this is where I let it all out. Holy crap. Not only is The scribe virgin V's mother, but he also has a twin sister that lives on the Other Side. She seems to be in suspended animation. Her name is Payne.

JR Ward is one sick mother effer. First she kills Wellsie and the baby *sob* THEN in this book Jane is shot at and killed. By a lesser. Just like poor Wellsie. THEN Jane is brought back. Not as a Vampire, not even the way it went down with Mary, but Jane is brought back as a ghost. She is see through. It's very creepy. Rhage accidentally walks into her because Jane had dropped her concentration and faded. See, she can be solid if she thinks about staying that way.

Apparently this does not effect sex, but how can it not? It's weird. I hate it. I HATE HATE HATE it.

To tell you the truth, I was into the book. I had a few 'shut the F up' moments at the way the brothers talk. "You feel me, true? " "I am so not going in there." "You so don' t want to do that" I am so into this female" "I am so doing this" etc etc...


What is with all the 'so'? We went from pimp/gang member talk to pimp/gang member/Vally girl talk.
This reader is so not into that, true? You feel me, my man?
Annoying isn't it? Just picture those worlds out the mouth of sexy bad ass Vampires.


Anyway, even with all that, I was still able to enjoy the book. I just kinda put up with the talk. It's not like I didn't know it would be there when I bought the book.

Then 'it' happened. It all went down hill from then. One stupid twist after another.

I give it C+ . As much as it pisses me off, Lover Unbound is very interesting. I didn't want to stop reading for a second. Plus, there are no lesser POVs, and that is good. However, I didn't feel good after I finished reading this book, so I probably won't ever pick it up again.

I do believe that V and Jane are good for each other. I didn't think I would believe a love story for him becuase of how much he loves Butch...and trust me, he loves Butch 'that way'. V's bi -sexuality is talked about in this book. He comes right out and admits that he is/was in love with Butch.

So yeah, Ward did a good job of making me believe in the Happily ever after. I crave HEA in the books that I read. Funny enough, after reading this, I want to go back and re read the rest of the books. I think I'll do that soon.

I do have one more thing to say though. More of a question for those who have read the book. Please highlight below to find out...

After John sent away Layla after she failed to please him after the change (by no fault of their own, of course) Layla acted as if she was going to run away or something. Layla is the Chosen that Rhage feeds from. Layla has that commitment with Rhage and Mary, so she can't take off. It was hard enough for Rhage and Mary to get over that he can't feed off of Mary in the first place, so it will be hell for them to gain that trust with another Chosen if Layla takes off.

Someone on another blog was saying that Layla and John should be mated. I disagree. Layla needs to stick by Rhage and Mary.

Something I should mention is that I like Jane. A lot. I had a problem with some of the Heroines in the other books in this series, and for the first time, I didn't have a single negative thought go through my head about Jane.
cant wait to hear what everyone else has to say about Lover Unbound. Get reading!
The books in order are,
It's very important to read these books in order. Especially with this one, and the last one (Lover Revealed) There are just too many things going on to understand if you start with this book.

14 comments

  1. Isabel // 8:32 p.m.  

    Wow. I don't know if I want to read this.

    interesting about the spoilers. Thanks for reviewing this one. :)

  2. ~ames~ // 10:55 p.m.  

    I read the spoilers!!

    LOL I'm so not a spoiler ho, but my Mom kind of told me about V's mom.

    It's gonna be interesting to read this when she's done.

  3. nath // 7:21 a.m.  

    Really interesting spoilers :P You know what, you're the first one whose review makes me want to read a little bit the book... just for the part Rhage walked through Jane... LOL

  4. Anonymous // 9:56 a.m.  

    Damn. This is another not so rave review I've read for this book. I'm seriously getting bummed. I've only read the first two in the series and I'm really digging it. But being unable to resist reading all the spoilers floating around (which I usually dont do) it appears that with LU the series is going downhill??! Say it ain't so! :(

  5. Chantal // 3:29 p.m.  

    Hello ladies,

    Isabel, if you read the others, then you should jusy go ahead and read this one. The moments with John are worth it :)

    Ames, I can't wait to hear what you have say.

    Nath, that was a really weird moment, I went back and read it three times, lol.

    Molli, the BDB stories are good. Really good. Ward seems to hate her heroines though. She is so mean to them.
    I will for sure be reading Phury's book.

  6. Anonymous // 7:33 p.m.  

    BWHAHAHAHAHA

    Katiebabs said that this book will forever be identified as the WTF? book. I think she nailed it.

    For me, the worst part is that I REALLY liked Jane and I liked the relationship she had with V. Neither one was going to give up their life's work for the other. They would do what they needed to do to find time to be together. Pretty enlightened for the BDBs! And then IT happened. DAMN!

    Oh, and BTW, I heard it might be Layla with Rhev. Supposedly, JR Ward said that Rhev's shellan has been in all the books. Other than Beth, the only other one that meets that qualification (that anyone can think of) is Layla.

    I've also heard JM with Chex, Payne with Rhev, Payne with JM, and Payne with Manny.

    hee-hee, as I've been typing this on YOUR blog, you are over posting comments on MY blog right now. We've got some kind of weird Vulcan mind meld going on, I think!

  7. Chantal // 8:10 p.m.  

    Hehe, Hi Bev.

    Well that sucks about Layla and Rehv. What will happen to Rhage? He needs her to feed! I know its probably no big deal to others, but I like Rhage and Mary and I remember how damn hard it was to get used to the idea of anyone other than Mary to feed him. I can't see him just going to another Chosen.

    Gosh, I am just dieing to figure out what is going to happen with that part of the story line.

    I cant think of anyone else who has been in all the books either.
    Wait, Layla wasn't in Dark Lover, was she? I Plan to re read the books soon, so I'll be writing down every female who appears and in which books she appears in.

    This is a sickness. lol

    Oh, and Xhex just needs to die. I have never read about a more unattractive Heroine in my life. I don't want her as a Heroine. Reading about Butch when I kept picturing him as over weight and old was hard enough.

    Hmmm, Manny. I liked his straight forwardness. I think he would make a good Brother.

  8. Anonymous // 12:08 a.m.  

    Oh man, Chantal! You're killing me here!

    "Reading about Butch when I kept picturing him as over weight and old was hard enough."

    See, I always pictured him as a younger Chris Meloni from Law & Order SVU. And he was so damn screwed up and complex as a human that I was actually disappointed when he became a brother. He lost that screwed up edge!

  9. Chantal // 10:33 a.m.  

    I think I liked him better as a human as well. Infact, I liked him in all the books untill he got his story. I liked him as the Brothers' side kick. The human helper.
    Him being a Borther does not work for me.


    P.s I love L&O: SVU.

  10. Casee // 11:09 a.m.  

    Great review, Chantal! You said it perfectly with this comment:

    However, I didn't feel good after I finished reading this book, so I probably won't ever pick it up again.

    That's exactly how I felt. Exactly.

    I also agree w/ you about Layla. I saw where someone wanted Layla to mate with JM. How boring would that be? Though I'm not a huge Xhex fan, I think that would be an interesting match.

  11. Anonymous // 5:39 p.m.  

    Oh wait! Let's talk about Cormia (yawn) as Phury's apparent shellan. I am SINCERELY hoping that JRW decides to switch direction because Cormia is going to make Marissa seem like a wild woman in comparison to Cormia! GAK!

  12. Devon // 4:05 p.m.  

    Finally catching up with reviews of this. I agree with you a lot. I liked Jane and V & Jane's relationship more than a lot of people. It just wasn't developed well and there wasn't enough of it.

    I think Rehv's ending up with the SV. Yes folks, you read it here first. Don't know how it's gonna happen, but it will.

    I don't want Layla to be a heroine. Maybe I'm just mean but I just don't like the Chosen. All "yes, master, how can I please you today." And not in a fun way.

  13. Anonymous // 6:53 p.m.  

    DEVON! You're Back!

    And just in time to be completely EVIL! The SV??!!! OMG, she HAS been in all the books, hasn't she?

    HOLY SHIT! That WOULD knock us ALL on our asses wouldn't it?

  14. reviewer // 11:25 p.m.  

    OMG Dev, that is true!SV has been in all the books.
    Oh man, I need to think on this one.