Just like my last Anita Blake post, this is not a review. I still like the series, and I don;t regret starting it. It;s been great entertainment and I like Anita very much.

I have just finished Obsidian Butterfly, and I'm told that it is the last good book in the series.

Narcissus In Chains is in my TBR, but I'm a tad afraid to start it. On one hand I'm dying to find out what happens to Anita to turn her around so much and at the same time make so many turn against the series. On the other hand I like this series, and I don't want to see a good thing go to crap. Even though it apparently already has gone to crap. Do I stop now and say that this is a series I like, or do I go and then end up saying that this is a series I used to like?

Who know, I may keep on saying that this is a series that I like.
I wont know till I read.
Decisions, decisions.

I do want to mention that Obsidian Butterfly was the goriest book out of all of them for me, so far. Some scenes were very hard to get through. It had newborn babies being eaten, a child being tortured, and a teen being molested.
Even Stephen King doesn't write that kind of stuff in such detail.
It was amazing to read. I gasped out loud and had to put the book down and stop for a while.
I must say that as gory as the scenes were, they were well written. There was enough description to keep with the horror theme of the book, but not so much that a reader had to stop reading indefinitely.

Oh, and I notice that a lot of fans picture Anita looking like Selma Hayek. Not me. In my head she is a lot thinner and prettier than Selma. To me they have the same hair, but thats it.

7 comments

  1. Dev // 5:12 p.m.  

    The Anita Blake books are ones that I've never read. I had a friend who started reading them, but then she read like the 5th book and disliked it so much she quit reading the series. Me, I'm one of those compulsive readers who has to read everything in the series. Since she quit it at book 5, I didn't want to start the series and then quit halfway through.

  2. Anonymous // 6:15 p.m.  

    I still like this series. Especially after The Harlequin it seemed a little more like the early books. Although Anita has veered so far from her original character it's a bit alarming.

    I actually started the series with Obsidian Butterfly, can you imagine?! I didn't notice the "An Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Book" on the spine/cover. I had to go back and start from the beginning.

    I'm anxious to hear what you think of the books after OB!!!!!

  3. ~ames~ // 11:24 p.m.  

    *gasp* You don't think Salma is pretty? I lub her. Girl love. LOL

    Ok - I think because of the kind of pervy books we both like, that you might enjoy this series. But things go down hill for me because Anita's character changes so much. I don't mind all the sex - but there's really no point for it. And certain characters can only come thisclose to dying so many times, all because of Anita's unwillingness to deal with her sexual problem. LOL

    It just gets frustrating.

  4. CindyS // 2:02 a.m.  

    Yeah, I think the change from 'not me, I'm a good girl' to 'rampant nimpho' was a hard sell. I read until the one before the last. I finally got the scene I had been waiting for and I was done. You begin to miss what was once a great set of characters being morphed into - I can't explain it. It will be interesting to see what you think.

    CindyS

  5. Chantal // 4:19 p.m.  

    Oh, come on, Dev. I dare you to start :-P

    Mollie, I like Anita as she is now. I don't want to see her change. :(
    I'm pretty sure I'll start the next book as soon as I am done with my current read.

    Ames, I'm afraid that I don't find Selma attractive at all. Sorry? lol
    Yeah, I like pervy stuff. Hehe

    Cindy, I can't wait to find out what makes her go from good girl to sexaholic. For nine books she has been against casual sex. I can't even think up an excuse for it.

  6. Anonymous // 11:18 p.m.  

    Chantal, my favorite book in the entire series is Narcissus in Chains!

    Yes, the series becomes more relationship and sexually oriented with NiC, but it's a damn good book. Also, keep in mind that we meet Micah in NiC, and he is a lightning rod for readers- either loved or hated. (I happen to adore him), but I have to admit that, after NiC, the books aren't completely memorable again until the most recent, The Harlequin. But then again, I don't have total recall of the earlier ones either, even though I've read them more times than I can count.

    And it's funny, because, like Molly, I started with Obsidian Butterfly, didn't realize it was a series, then went back immediately and bought the rest.

    So, what did you think of Blue Moon? Along with NiC, BM is my co-favorite of the series.

  7. nath // 9:20 a.m.  

    LOL, me just think you're so courageous to have started to series :D and I'm glad that you're enjoying it so far :D let see what you think of the next one!