Secrets of a summer night

Posted by reviewer | 12:07 p.m. | , , | 8 comments »

Secrets of a summer night by Lisa Kleypas (Wallflower book 1)

Published by Avon

Why I read this: This is the first book in a series that Ames had reviewed. They all sound really good, so I wanted to read them.

Annabelle Peyton, determined to save her family from disaster, decides to use her beauty and wit to tempt a suitable nobleman into making an offer of marriage. But Annabelle's most intriguing -- and persistent -- admirer, wealthy, powerful Simon Hunt, has made it clear that while he will introduce her to irresistible pleasure he will not offer marriage. Annabelle is determined to resist his unthinkable proposition ... but it is impossible in the face of such skillful seduction. Her friends, looking to help, conspire to entice a more suitable gentleman to offer for Annabelle, for only then will she be safe from Simon -- and her own longings. But on one summer night, Annabelle succumbs to Simon's passionate embrace and tempting kisses ... and she discovers that love is the most dangerous game of all.

Annabelle and her three news friends are sick of being Wallflowers. They hatch a plan to help each other snag husbands. Since Annabelle is the eldest they decided that she should be the first of them to marry. Together the girls decides on a young Lord Kendall to be Annabelles husband.
Simon Hunt, a rich merchants son has had his eye on Annabelle for the last two years. He attends a house party that she is at, and proceeds to bump into her everywhere she goes. He does not want Annabelle to marry Kendall.

I love Simon. He is so arrogant and alpha. He wants Annabelle, and he will stop at nothing to have her. Just read some of the things that had me swooning...


"Every time I see you," he murmured, "I think you couldn't possibly become anymore beautiful-and you always prove me wrong."

That was their wedding night. After things get underway Annabelle starts to panic a bit and Simon is so sweet about it...


She let him do as he wished, quivering as she felt the prickle of his night beard contrasting with the silky wet heat of his mouth. But when he reached her navel, and she felt the slick point of his tongue enter the little hollow, she rolled away from him with a shocked inhalation. "No...Simon...I...Please..."
Immidietely he levered upwards and gathered her in his arms, smiling into her scarlet face. "Too much?" he asked huskily. "I'm sorry-for a moment I forgot that it's new to you. Here let me hold you. You're not frightened are you?"
This part made me giggle during their loving...


Holding himself deep inside her, he groaned, while a shiver ran across his shoulders.
"You're so tight," he said hoarsely.
"I-I'm sorry-"
"No no," he managed. "Don't be sorry. My God."
His voice was slurred, as if he was drink on pleasure.
This next quote takes place while Simon is telling Annabelle all the things that he likes about her. She mentioned that his best friend does not care for her, and he says...


"Now that you're my wife, Westcliff knows better than to ever utter another word of objection to you or the marriage, if he did I would end the friendship without a second thought."
"Oh, but I would never want that, I...." She looked at him in sudden bemusement. "You would do that for me?"
Simon traced a vein of golden hair that ran through the honey gold locks.
"There is nothing I wouldn't do for you."
All together now, Awwwwww. How can you not love a man who would dump his best friend for you?

My favourite part of the book is the end when Annabelle helps to save Simon's life. The talk they had afterward was so emotional and romantic that it had me in tears.

Any book that makes me cry AND has a Hero as yummy as Simon is a B+ from me.

8 comments

  1. Dev // 2:35 p.m.  

    I really liked this one, too. I loved the chess game. Simon is definitely a good hero, but I've come to pretty much expect that from LK.

  2. Chantal // 3:40 p.m.  

    Oh, yes the chess games parts were good. I like it when a book has that type of interaction between the h/h.

  3. Stacy~ // 7:09 a.m.  

    I enjoyed this book too, and the scene where they're caught in the fire is very emotional. I really loved Simon, and I enjoyed seeing their relationship in the follow-up books.

  4. nath // 7:39 a.m.  

    that is the book in the series that I want to read and that is the one that I can't find! So frustrating :D but I'm glad you and Ames liked it :D that means there is a great chance that I would like it as well :D

  5. Kristie (J) // 8:07 a.m.  

    When talking Lisa Kleypas heroes, Simon doesn't get mentioned that often. This one was actually my favourite of the four Wallflower books. I love it when it when the hero is just a normal guy instead of a titled hero. That's why, although Sebastian is good, I prefer other heroes of Lisa's such as - well - Derek and Jack and Zachary and Simon.

  6. Chantal // 8:14 p.m.  

    Stacy, that part was so well written. LK is is a magician with the pen..err, keyboard?? lol

    Nath, enjoy! Will you please review it?

    Hi Kristie, I like regular type guys as well. It does seem like LK's heroes are rather popular all around.

  7. ~ames~ // 10:58 a.m.  

    Wooohoo! I'm glad you liked this one. Now I can't wait for your thoughts on It Happened One Autumn. Simon is definitely a great hero.

    And Annabelle going into a burning building didn't even piss me off. She loved her man that much. hehe

  8. Chantal // 1:06 p.m.  

    Ames, I would absolutely go into a burning building for my husband (or children) so I had no problem with it either.
    I thought it was so very romantic.