Virgin River

Posted by Chantal | 2:01 p.m. | , , | 5 comments »

Virgin River by Robyn Carr (book one in the Virgin River series)

Published by Mira

Why I read this: Well, I had seen several people rave about the series, but I wasn't completely sold on them until Book Binge featured the author. A few days after I bought 2/3 of the series, I won autographed copies. Iwas meant to be for me to start this series.

When the recently widowed Melinda Monroe sees this ad she quickly decides that the remote mountain town of Virgin River might be the perfect place to escape her heartache, and to re energize the midwife career that she loves. But her high hopes are dashed within an hour of arriving: the cabin is a dump, the roads are treacherous and the local doctor wants nothing to do with her. Realizing she's made a huge mistake, Mel decides to leave town the following morning. But a tiny baby, abandoned on a front porch, changes her plans...and a former marine cements them into place. Melinda Monroe may have come to Virgin River looking for escape, but instead she finds her home.

I am kicking myself for not reading this book sooner. It opens with Melinda driving to what is supposed to her her new home for the time. A cozy little cabin in a cozy little town. It's not at all what is expected and she decides to leave the next morning. The next morning while she is in her car on her way out of town she is flagged down by bar owner Jack. He has found a baby on the porch of the town doctors office/house. Mel decides to stay in town for a while so that she can take care of the baby.

Mel keeps putting off her leaving for various reasons. First, to look after the baby, then to make sure she is around for this pregnancy, or that that birth. She develops a deep friendship with Jack, and the longer she sticks around, the harder Jack falls in love with her.

I loved this book. Love love loved it! Mel is strong willed, smart and brave. Jack is such a nice guy. He is kind, thoughtful, caring, protective. He is amazing.

A+++++++++

You need to run as fast as you can, go out and buy this book. The description of Virgin River's scenery alone is worth it. There wasn't a single slow moment anywhere, the dialogue was catchy, and the sexual tension was hot hot hot.

Virgin River was perfect!

Some of the things that Mel and Jack said to each other had me giggling, and a scene where Mel meets Jacks family had me LOL'ing.

Virgin River's secondary characters were as intriguing as the Hero and Heroine. I adored Doc, Preacher, all the pregnant ladies, friends that Mel made in the next town.

This book brought up situations about normal births, complicated births, drug addiction, teen sex, birth control, violence and infertility. It did it a way that was entertaining. I didn't once feel like I was reading a public service announcement.

I can't say enough good things about this book. You have to read it. Really, you do!

5 comments

  1. Dev // 4:40 p.m.  

    I haven't read this yet ~ although it's at the top of my stacks. I'm hoping to get it finished by the weekend. Don't know that I will, but that's the goal.

    I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

  2. nath // 7:54 a.m.  

    Hey Chantal!!

    I'm sooooo glad you enjoyed the book :) It was great right? :) Love Mel and Jack! I hope you enjoy the rest of the series as well :D

  3. Kris // 10:00 p.m.  

    Sounds interesting I will keep and eye out for it. Thanks for the recommendation.

  4. Chantal // 7:06 p.m.  

    Oh oh oh, Dev! Reeeead it :)

    Nath, I hope I like it, too. I can't wait to see more of Mel and Jack. How often do I like both the Hero AND the heroine so much?? Almost never.

    Hi Kris, you can buy the books at eharlequin.com the mira section :)

  5. Rowena // 9:01 p.m.  

    Dude, I'm so glad that you enjoyed this book, I can't wait to see what you think of the other books...I loved Virgin River.