From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris
Published by Ace Books
Why I read this: It's the current book in a series that I enjoy.

After the natural disaster of Hurricane Katrina and the manmade explosion at the vampire summit, everyone—human and otherwise—is stressed, including Louisiana cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse, who is trying to cope with the fact that her boyfriend Quinn has gone missing.

It's clear that things are changing—whether the weres and vamps of her corner of Louisiana like it or not. And Sookie—Friend to the Pack and blood-bonded to Eric Northman, leader of the local vampire community—is caught up in the changes.

In the ensuing battles, Sookie faces danger, death, and once more, betrayal by someone she loves. And when the fur has finished flying and the cold blood finished flowing, her world will be forever altered.


I started reading this series last year after my buddy Ames posted a round up review of all the released books. I was so eager to start on them that I didn't even wait for the first book to be back in at the library. I believe I started on the 3'rd book. Then I read the first, then the 4'th, then the 2'nd..um, it was all mixed up. Those of you who know me will think that reading out of order was very strange indeed. It was. My rule is to always read in order. Sigh.

From Dead to Worse is the 8'th Sookie book. It's difficult to do a review on a series book. There is always so much going on, and since all the books connect so well with other I'd have to go into what was happening in the other books.

What I like best about this book, about the whole series, is Sookie herself. The star of the story can make or break a book. Sookie makes it.
She is kind, without being a push over and thats important to me. She isn't afraid to stand up for herself, and even when she loves the person, she does not let them take advantage of her.
At the same time she is interesting. It's not just her telepathy either. Sure, being able to read minds is cool, or a pain, as it tend to be sometimes for Sookie, but she is super cool. Someone I'd love to be friends with... after I learn how to put up a mental block on my brain, that is.

In From Dead to Worse Sookie got into a few close calls. The Ware community and her brother made things difficult for her. A problem with some Vamps who want to take over caused problems. Her boyfriend, Quinn... well, lets just say that after this book, I don't like Quinn as much as I used to.

Sookie book eight gets an A from me. I was on the edge of my seat from start to finish. Not a single lagging moment or any plot problems. Go Sookie! You rock, girl!

13 comments

  1. Bev(QB) // 1:23 p.m.  

    la-la-la-la I can't hear you cuz this is one of my fave audio book series and I won't be getting it for a few more days. I'm even setting aside KMM and Phil G.'s The Immortal Highlander to listen to this one! *gasp*

    But I DID look at the last paragraph and you've got me wanting to jump into it even more. dammit.

  2. Kris // 4:42 p.m.  

    Yeah, I cannot wait to read it. I am glad you like it I am like 17th on the waiting list at the library. it takes too long. :)

  3. ~ames~ // 5:07 p.m.  

    I love Sookie!!

    And yeah, I'm not so much a fan of Quinn anymore. I'm a fan of Eric. But I kind of want her to have a thing with Sam too. Ugh, too many menage a trois books lately. LOL

    Didn't a lot happen in this book? I was just like Woah! at how much was going on.

    SPOILER







    Also, Eric remembers everything!! I can't wait to see what happens next. But now we have to wait a whole year again. UGH

  4. Chantal // 5:26 p.m.  

    Hi Bev,
    You will be so pleased! :)

    Hi Kris,
    I hope the waiting doesn't take too long for you. Although, I know how you feel. I was at the end of the line for Lean Mean Thirteen at the library last year.

    Hi Ames,
    I KNOW!!!
    (spoliers...)




















    I actually gasped out loud when we found out that Eric remembers everything. Eeeeek, how exciting!
    You know what? I'm starting to like Bill again. When they were surrounded by all those enemy vamps and thought they would have to fight ot the death... Bill was willing to die for Sookie. He is still a rat bastard, but not as rat bastardy as he was before.

    I know something would happen with Crystal and the brother. Slut. Imagine having to physically hurt someone you care about like that :( Poor Sookie.

    Oh! And Sookie meeting her great grandfather? I didn't see that coming at all.

  5. ~ames~ // 5:34 p.m.  

    SPOILERS!!

























    OOOh, I completely forgot about her great grandfather. It'll be neat to see how that plays out. I like how you know, he's a fairy and standoffish and I just know she's going to humanize him a bit. And Octavia? She'll be neat to see a bit more of too. Neat. It's all neat. LOL

  6. Chantal // 8:14 p.m.  

    Spoilers..





    Yes! Octavia. I almost forgot about her. At first I thought she was going to be bad news, like, a bad guy. I'm glad to see another good guy :)
    And what about Bob? I bet he feels better now, lol

  7. ~ames~ // 8:37 p.m.  

    Spoiler










    I laughed when I read about the kittens!! LOL

  8. ChariDee // 8:59 p.m.  

    I was actually kind of disappointed in the book! I know, gasp! I still LOVED it because well, I freakin' LOVE the world. But I felt so much of it was anti-climatic. I do love the addition of the new family members, and can't wait to see where they lead. But as an over-all, I think this one is my least fave.

    I am anxiously awaiting the next one, though, because at the book signing, Harris said that we'll get up close and personal with Eric in that one :)!

  9. ~ames~ // 10:55 p.m.  

    Oh Charidee, I'm jealous you got to go to a book signing! It's very hard to get authors to my neck of the woods (Winnipeg).

    Knowing that Eric is going to be a big player in the next book makes me all the more anxious!

  10. nath // 7:32 a.m.  

    LOL, it's seeing reviews like this and your convo with Ames that makes it hard for me to want to give away the books ^_^; I have the first 4 books that I bought on a whim and I still haven't managed to read them... although I did skim through them.

  11. ~ames~ // 10:07 a.m.  

    Nath-The Book Smuggler ladies did a joint review and they did admit to having trouble at the beginning of the first book. But they persevered and it paid off, they both really enjoyed the book. :P Keep trying!!

  12. Bev(QB) // 10:13 a.m.  

    And Nath, I read the first and maybe the 2nd book before deciding that these books were too slow paced for me and never picked up another one. So I can totally empathize with you.

    It wasn't until I discovered the audio books and Johanna Parker's amazing narration that Sookie came alive for me. I just couldn't get Sookie's voice and Southern pacing in my head right. But now, thanks to Parker and meeting the charming Charlaine Harris, I cannot wait for each new audio release!

  13. nath // 2:58 p.m.  

    Hey girls, it's interesting to know those things. I actually skimmed through books 1 to 4... so i know a bit what happens at least. It's interesting to know that **** remembers... wonder how that's going to turn the story around. by the way, how many books in the series so far?