Mr. Perfect by Linda Howard
Published by Simon & Schuster
Why I read this: I heard it was good.


Jaine Bright and three close friends share dinner one night and during casual conversation, create a list of qualifications for the perfect man--some logical, some hilariously funny, some racy. Within days, their tongue-in-cheek wish list of attributes for Mr. Perfect has been leaked to the press and the resultant publicity is overwhelming. Coworkers, TV crews, and reporters barrage the quartet with comments and criticism.

As if Jaine doesn't have enough to cope with, she has a new neighbor who she suspects is a criminal. She's relieved to learn that her neighbor is really an undercover cop, but she's still wary--because smart, sexy Sam Donovan handles her sharp witticisms with easy humor, and Jaine suspects that he may threaten her heart. What Jaine doesn't know is that she's about to need Sam desperately for something other than romance because her circle of friends is in big trouble. Unfortunately, that list of qualifications for Mr. Perfect has touched off a madman's rage. All of their lives are threatened and some of them are going to die, maybe all of them, if Sam can't stop the unknown killer.


Two words. KEEPER SHELF.

Jaine and her 3 best friends put together a list of what the perfect man to them is. It gets out of control when the list is made public and there is a huge uproar. Like the women in the novel, I can't figure out what the big deal was about the list, but hey, it still made for a great story.

One of the women is killed by someone who has a big problem with the list. I figured out the bad guy very early on, and I felt kinda proud of that, because I usually always have the villian wrong.

Sam, who is a police officer and Jaine's next door neighbour helps to protect Jaine and catch the killer. I absolutleye loved the back and forth banter Jaine and Sam had. They are indeed the perfect match.

Mr. Perfect had me sucked in right from the get go. This novel is romantic suspense, but there is just the right amount of both to even it out. Something that surprised me was how many times I laughed out loud. What a pleasant surpise it was to find so many laughs when I least expected it. Every comical moment fit in perfectly with the story line and each scene. Nothing was forced or out of place.

That brings me to another thing about it. The romance. In true suspsens fashion, the H/H fell in love fast, but the flow of it, while reading, felt natural. The love scenes were not just thown in there at odd moments.

Everything from the story, the H/H, the writing style was great. No doubt in my mind that Mr. Perfect is an A book.

Are all novels by this author so good? If so, I have some major back list buying to get to.

8 comments

  1. Jill D. // 8:56 p.m.  

    Oh. My. Gosh! This was your first Linda Howard novel!? You lucky girl you! There are so many fabulous books by her. Some of my favorite include the MacKenzie series starting with MacKenzie's Mountain. I loved To Die For and Cry No More. Some of her first books like, All that Glitters you may want to avoid. You are in for a real treat! Definitely look into her back list.

  2. Anne // 9:24 p.m.  

    Hi!!! The majority of LH novels are this good. There were only one or two I didn't care for. Cry No More was AWESOME. I just finished Death Angel-the newest-and it was really awesome as well. Ventures outside the box. I love that.

    MUST READS:
    All The Queen's Men
    Cry No More
    Dream Man
    A Game of Chance
    Kill and Tell
    Now You See Her
    Open Season
    Son of the Morning

    ENJOY!

  3. Stacy~ // 7:18 a.m.  

    This is my favorite LH, but then I've never read some of her much older stuff.

    Dream Man is also an excellent read. And I really enjoyed Open Season.

  4. nath // 5:57 p.m.  

    You haven't read LH yet!?!?!? LOL :) I agree with all the ones Anne named... and add After the Night.

  5. Marg // 7:44 p.m.  

    This was my first Linda Howard book as well. I have been meaning to read more but haven't got to them yet.

    I have To Die For out from the library at the moment.

  6. Chantal // 9:57 a.m.  

    Thanks for all the rec's. I'll be reading another by her soon :)

  7. Kris // 1:53 p.m.  

    Wow, a LH virgin!! This was a great book to start with. I agree with Anne's list and if you want a fun suspense read, To Die For was very funny but slightly different style.

  8. Rowena // 12:11 a.m.  

    OMG, your first LH? What a way to start though because I absolutely love this book! LH is such a good author I can't wait to see your thoughts on the rest of LH's books...you should definitely try her other books out.

    Heart of Fire gets on my vote for next LH book for you to try out, me and Holly fight over that hero all the time, hehe.