Moon Awakening by Lucy Monroe
Why I read this: Nath's Re-Read Challenge of books from the keeper shelf.

When Emily Hamilton's family is ordered to send a woman to the Scottish highlands for marriage to the laird of the Sinclair, Emily volunteers in order to save her younger sister from such a fate. But at her new home, the only friend she finds is the laird's sister-especially after Emily's stubborn streak causes the laird to cancel the marriage. And though her plans have gone awry, she refuses to return home...

Lachlan Balmoral is laird of his clan-and leader of his pack. One of the most feared werewolves prowling the Highlands, he is on the march against the hated Sinclair, who have abducted a Balmoral woman. He kidnaps the sister of the Sinclair laird, planning to marry her off in revenge-but the woman he takes along with her proves to be the greater prize...

For Emily feeds a desire he has never known existed. And though Lachlan would not think of touching his enemy's betrothed, he must know how a mere woman could tame his heart so easily...


It was difficult to pick a book for this challenge. There are only 12 months in a year and I have way more than 12 books on my keeper shelf, so just picking the first book to read was a challenge on it's own.

This book was decided on because I remembered from my first read that, I was emotionally invested in the book. I knew that the author had written it in a way that made me feel like I was in the story, that I was the heroine. I wanted to feel that way again.

This is the link to my original review of this book. Reading it I notice that my reviewing style has changed over the years. I used to give away most of the story, and that does not happen anymore.

In Moon Awakening, Emily is sent to marry a Laird who she does not want, and who does not want her. While waiting for the Laird to set a wedding day, Emily becomes good friends with the Laird's sister. One day they are both kidnapped, and during their captivity, Emily falls in love with Lachlan, the Laird who has captured her.

My opinion on a few of the story issues has changed. I no longer feel annoyed that Emily was kept housed in a tower room that is normally meant for prisoners. After the first night she had the freedom to come and go and she pleased, so it's not like she was treated like a captive.

Something new that didn't bother me before but tended to make me pause this go around is the use of 'sweetest spot'. Emily's sweetest spot is her clitoris. Since I am a fan of the authors work and I have read all of her books, I've come to notice that the term is used in some of her other books. Lucy Monroe writes amazing love scenes that are super sexy, so 'sweetest spot' feels out of place for me. It would suit better with more vanilla love scense, I think.

For me, reading this book the second time made it all the better. It was a B- the first time I read it, and now it is a B+. It's not perfect, but it's damn good and it made me happy to read it a second time. I'm even thrilled to read it a 3'rd and 4'th time!

10 comments

  1. nath // 7:26 a.m.  

    Yay!! glad you enjoyed it even better!! I've heard you praise this book many time, but still haven't gotten my copy or read it. Think I'll go out and hunt it down :)

  2. Amy C // 8:10 a.m.  

    I read this book when it first came out and I loved it too. It's one of my keepers as well.

    So glad you enjoyed it just as much the second time around :).

  3. Tracy // 10:44 a.m.  

    I love Lucy Monroe and this is one of my favs. According to her website another Children of the Moon book will be coming out in 2009, but we'll have to wait and see. This one was so good I'd love another!

    Great review

  4. ~ames~ // 10:53 a.m.  

    I read this back in the day because of your review.

    I liked it, but I see the way LM wrote the hero as reminding me of Julie Garwood's Highlanders. Very strong alpha men. Which I love. LOL

  5. Kara // 12:40 p.m.  

    I have got to find a copy of this book - sounds like it would end up on my keeper shelf too.

    By the way...I love your blog layout - very beautiful and easy to navigate!!!

  6. Jace // 3:16 p.m.  

    Hey, very pretty blog you have here! :D

    I've never read Lucy Monroe before and I think I shall seek this one out ... I like very strong alpha heroes. :D

  7. Kristie (J) // 7:42 p.m.  

    It's nice isn't it - when a book IMPROVES with age. I've had an up and down relationship with Lucy Monroe but I will keep an eye out for this one :)

  8. Jenn // 3:04 p.m.  

    I have this one in my huge TBR pile, I really have to read this one. Maybe if I stop sleeping I can read them all.

  9. reviewer // 12:49 p.m.  

    Thank you :-)

  10. Leslie // 1:42 a.m.  

    Great reveiw. I've had this one for awhile but was waiting for her to write the next one before I started this one but it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon.