Dangerous games

Posted by reviewer | 12:10 p.m. | , , , | 4 comments »

Dangerous games, by Lora Leigh

Published by St. Martins, Feb 2007
Grade: B-

About the book: Navy SEAL Clint “Iceman” McIntire didn't earn his nickname by being a coward. Or a quitter. Having crushed an infamous drug cartel in Colombia, Clint was nothing short of an American hero. Now he's home, on a much-needed leave, but instead of some R&R, he finds himself neck-deep in trouble with his best friend's little sister, Morganna Chavez, the only woman who has the power to bring him to his knees. . .

Morganna has been secretly working with the DEA to uncover a thriving date-rape drug, which leads her to a shadowy faction that is more deadly than anything her team has ever encountered. Now it's up to Clint to keep this beautiful, determined agent out of harm's way, even while the passion between them threatens to consume them. Soon Clint's greatest mission will be not just keeping Morganna safe, but getting her into his arms and never letting go.

Morganna has been in love with Clint since she was a teenager. Clint always knew how she felt, but he didn't ever pursue it because he thought she was too young. He is also a tortured soul who had a horrible childhood. His father beat him, his mother did nothing to protect him and he was afraid to start a serious relationship & have children because he didn't want to be like his father.

After years of being turned down by Clint, Morganna has had enough! She goes into law enforcement and is helping the DEA crack a big case. A powerful date rape drug is being used on women.

Clint and Morganna end up working together, and it's not long before the sparks start to fly.

Clint doesnt like how close they are getting, so he wants to keep his distance, but then someone tries to kill Morganna. They go into hiding together, and there is nothing that can keep them apart.

Dangerous games is action packed (not just with sex either.) Clint is your typical sexually charged alpha male, that Lora Leigh writes so well. He reminds me a lot of Cade from Marly's choice.

If this is your first Lora Leigh book, then you will find the love scenes explicit. Trust me though, they are pretty tame compared to some of her other works.

A big problem for me is that it's marketed as the first in a series, when it's not! 'Honk if you love real men', is an anthology that has the first real story. It may not officially be part of of SEAL books, but stuff that happened in this book is directly related to the first one, and anyone (like me) who hasn't read the anthology is left with unanswered questions. Very maddening! There is nothing I hate more than when a lot of references are made to previous books, and I'm sitting here saying "what the hell are they talking about" That happened a lot for me with this book.

4 comments

  1. Anne // 12:59 p.m.  

    Crap. B-? Man. I was soooo hoping it would be an A book *sigh* I'm hoping it's not a waste of my money. Sheesh. Though a B- is WAY better than some of the other stuff that's been out there lately.

  2. reviewer // 1:03 p.m.  

    Hi Anne, I wanted to give it an A, I really did. I probably would have if I had read the first one. There were just way too many 'wtf are you talking about' moments.

    It was good though!

  3. Chari-Dee // 11:54 a.m.  

    I have this one in my TBR pile. Not sure when I'll get to it, but hopefully soon. I haven't read her before, and I know I haven't read the anthology, so I hope I can follow it somewhat.

    Thanks for the review!

  4. Kris // 2:54 p.m.  

    That did bug me too when I realized there had to be another book before this one when they said it was the first in the series. I still have not gotten a chance to read the first one, but I have read the next story in the the anthology, Real Me Do it Better. It is about Jim and it was pretty good.