Hero Worship, by Dawn Calvert

Published by Zebra, Dec 2006
Grade: DNF/F

About the book:
One moment Andi Lofton-Hale was an English teacher worn
out by another bad blind date, tucked in with a Regency romance. The next, she’s
face to face with the magnificent hero of Wedgfeld Hall: tall, black-haired,
sinfully sexy Nathaniel Chamberlain. Is he real? Does she care? Nathaniel is the
man of her wildest dreams.
However, there is a catch.
Andi is a minor
character, not the heroine destined to win Nathaniel’s heart. He tells her it’s
lunacy to come between an author and her plot…anything might happen! But Andi’s
determined to rewrite her life, scandalize all of London, and make a brilliant
match, before she can seize everything temptation has to offer…between the
covers.


I didn't get past chapter 4. I tried. I really did. It was so bad that I didn't even skip to the end.

This is what I know...Andi is a teacher in our time. She is reading a book and gets all freaked out that one of the characters has the same name as her. She makes a wish and finds herself IN the book.

All the people know that they are in a book, and they do whatever the author tells them. Every time the author takes a break from writing they go do what they want, but as soon as she sits down at her desk they follow her lead.

Time travel books are a favourite of mine, but this one disappointed me. I felt no connection to any of the characters, the chapters dragged on and the word 'indeed' got to be too much. Like I said, I only made it up to chapter 4, and the word had been used over and over again.
I was bord to tears.

I'm going right back to the book store tomorrow and exchanging it for something else. I feel terrible about this.

7 comments

  1. Lori // 11:52 p.m.  

    Oh, what a bummer. I thought this one looked really interesting. And you can't beat the price!

    I like time travels, too. It's the only type of paranormal I'll pick up on my own without a push. Sorry to hear this wasn't worth it.

  2. ~ames~ // 12:00 a.m.  

    I hate time travels! LOL

  3. Kris // 2:11 p.m.  

    I was looking at this one the other day, but I am not a big time travel fan so I did not get it. Now I am kind of glad I didn't.

  4. Stacy~ // 6:11 p.m.  

    Sorry to hear you had a bad reading experience. I can honestly say this has never happened to me, and hopefully it never will.

    I enjoy some time travel - I adored Diana Gabaldon's series, with Jamie Fraser and Clare something or another.

  5. nath // 7:53 a.m.  

    Ohhh, too bad it wasn't a good read. I don't really care for time travel, but actually, this one does sound interesting...

  6. Devon // 10:53 a.m.  

    That's too bad. I hate it when something looks perfect, then it stinks.

    Recently I read a review of a book where the hero (yes, the hero) had my exact maiden name. Ending up taking his place in the book? Now That? Would be weird.

  7. reviewer // 10:20 p.m.  

    Lori, yeah, Six bucks isn't too bad. I wish I was in the States though. In Canada we pay 3-4 dollars more per book. It drives me crazy!

    Ames, this one has turned me off of them for a while :-P

    Kris, I'm glad you decided not to get it. Normally when I don't like a book I just suck it up. I was driven to get a refund this time.

    Nath, I know! It sounded great in the store, but once I got it home...Ugh.

    Devon, I have not seen my maiden name in a book, but Chistina Dodd has used my married name for secondary charactors twice that I am aware of. I have never ever seen my first name used. I wish I would though, I love my name.