Cold as ice

Posted by reviewer | 11:20 a.m. | , , , , | 2 comments »

Cold as ice, by Anne Stuart
Published by Mira, 2006
Grade: C-/ D+


The job was supposed to be dead easy -- hand-deliver some legal papers
to billionaire philanthropist Harry Van Dorn's extravagant yacht, get his
signature and be done. But Manhattan lawyer Genevieve Spenser soon realizes
she's in the wrong place at the wrong time, and that the publicly benevolent
playboy has a sick, vicious side. As he tries to make her his plaything for the
evening, eager to use and abuse her until he discards her with the rest of his
victims, Genevieve must keep her wits if she intends to survive the
night.


But there's someone else on the ship who knows the true depths of
Van Dorn's evil. Peter Jensen is far more than the unassuming personal assistant
he pretends to be -- he's a secret operative who will stop at nothing to ensure
Harry's deadly Rule of Seven terror campaign dies with him. But Genevieve's
presence has thrown a wrench into his plans, and now he must decide whether to
risk his mission to keep her alive, or allow her to become collateral damage . .


I ordered Cold as ice right after I read this review at Don't talk, just read. I'm afraid that I didn't like it as much as I expected to.

Genevieve is a lawyer who is supposed to get some papers signed by one of her firms clients. Client is a rich good looking pervert terrorist named Harry. Genevieve doesn't know he is really a bad guy. Once aboard his yacht, she is tricked into spending the night, and when she wakes up the next morning she finds out that the yacht has been taken over by Harry's assistant, and that he plans to kill both her and Harry.

Our Hero has many chances to kill Genevieve, but Peter keeps putting it off. Even though he is a stone cold killer he has never had to kill an innocent woman who simply happens to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Genevieve is an idiot! Halfway through the book I was begging Peter to put a gun to her head and pull the trigger. She is supposed to have graduated from an Ivy league law school but she is TSTL.

I liked Peter at the beginning of the book, but then he kept trying to help Genevieve. Gah! Just let her die. He was also mean. He kept saying cruel things to her. I know he was just covering his own feelings, and trying to make her like him less, but I don't enjoy head games.

Call me a sappy romantic, but I don't like how this romance ended without the Hero telling the Heroine he loves her. That is just wrong wrong wrong.


2 comments

  1. Kimberly // 2:57 p.m.  

    Awww :( I loved Cold As Ice - it was one of my favorite books last year. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, especially since I know we agree on other books :)

  2. reviewer // 3:27 p.m.  

    LOL Kat, don't you hate it when someone gives a bad review on a book you like?
    I saw a bad one for Lora's Dangerous games and I thought the chick was on drugs for what she said. LMAO.

    I wasn't on drugs when I read this one, I promise. Hehe.