Night of the huntress, by Kathryn Smith

Published by Avon, Jan 2007
Grade: B-

About the book:
Since the foul murder of my beloved wife three
hundred years past, I have dedicated myself to the destruction of monsters. My
obsession is rivaled only by the raging blood-lust that sets me apart from
ordinary men. But now there is another who seeks vengeance as
well.



She is called The Huntress—and when our paths
cross, one of us must die. But now that I have seen Marika Korzha, how can I be
the instrument of her ruin? The beauty and courage of this determined vampire
slayer move me in ways I no longer believed possible. And I alone know her dark
secret. We are more alike than the exquisite Huntress realizes. We both crave
justice . . . and passion . . . and absolution. And we dare not deny the desire
that consumes us both . . .



This author is fast becoming a favourite of mine. I have only read 4 of her books, but I have enjoyed them all.

Bishop was once a human who drank from what was thought to have been the Holy Grail. The cup was cursed by Lilith, a queen demon. Bishop and his friends all turned into Vampires after drinking from the cup.

Marika is half human half Vampire. Only a few people know that she is part Vampire. She has spent years tracking, and killing Vampires, because she believes they are pure evil. Monsters who don't deserve to walk the earth.

When Bishop and Marika come face to face things do not go as planned. Instead of fighting to the death they are caught up in a world of mystery and lies. The people who hired Marika to catch Bishop, are now trying to capture her. Bishop, who had been tortured by Marika for over a week gives shelter to her when she needs it.
When the two of them decide to fight along side each other, instead of against one another, Marika soon finds out who she can and can't trust. It's a moment of heartbreak when the people who have been her friends for years turn on her, and even try to kill her.
It was nice to watch Bishop and Marika grow closer with each turn of the page. The attraction they had for the other was instant, but the love and friendship took time to develop. It was all very sweet, and more importantly, it was believable to me.

I read a lot of Vampire novels, but this is one of my favourite Vamp worlds. Along with extreme strength, and great night vision, these Vampires can fly..without having to turn into bats first.
Uber cool!

This was the second book in the Brotherhood of blood series.

9 comments

  1. nath // 6:49 a.m.  

    hey Chantal :D

    These sounds interesting! I have the first one in the series, but have been putting off... Probably should read it :D

  2. Kris // 4:01 p.m.  

    I will have to try this one. I have looked at it again and again and never grabbed it. I guess I will have to break down and get them both. THanks.

  3. reviewer // 4:06 p.m.  

    Hi gals. I have not read the first book in this series. I planned to buy them both, but only the one was at the store.
    If I don't see it the nect time I go out, I'll ask them to order it for me.

    If you need even more insentive to buy this book then know that KS writes GREAT love scenes.

  4. Kathryn S // 11:15 a.m.  

    Thanks, Chantal! I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Saint's book, Taken by the Night comes out in November. I hope it works for you as well!

    hugs!
    k

  5. ~ames~ // 10:27 a.m.  

    Hey Chantal,

    I've read one Kathryn book before. Looks like I'll have to read more!

  6. nath // 7:57 a.m.  

    Hey Chantal! Just bought it yesterday at the bookstore... also got a bunch of her historicals at the UBS... :D Hopefully, I'll like them as much as you did.

  7. reviewer // 12:16 p.m.  

    Hi Kathryn, thanks for stopping by. I'll be reading the next book in this series. I can't wait!

    Ames, do that :)

    Nath, glad to hear that. I still have not had a chance to the get the first one from this series yet.

  8. Kris // 9:45 p.m.  

    Hey, I just looked at my tbr shelf and if Be Mine Tonight is the first one, then I have it. Cool, I will have to move it up in the ranks ;)

  9. reviewer // 10:30 a.m.  

    Kris, isn't that cover of the frst book nice? I love it.