Lover Revealed

Posted by Chantal | 11:43 a.m. | , , | 7 comments »

Lover Revealed, by J.R. Ward
Published by Onyx
Grade: C

Butch O'Neal is a fighter by nature. A hard-living ex-homicide cop, he's the
only human ever to be allowed in the inner circle of the Black Dagger
Brotherhood. And he wants to go even deeper into the vampire world-to engage in
the turf war with the lessers. His heart belongs to a female vampire, Marissa,
an aristocratic beauty who's way out of his league. And if he can't have her,
then at least he can fight side by side with the Brothers. But fate curses him
with the very thing he wants. When Butch sacrifices himself to save a civilian
vampire from the slayers, he falls prey to the darkest force in the war. Left
for dead, he's found by a miracle, and the Brotherhood calls on Marissa to bring
him back, though even her love may not be enough to save him.

Butch and Marissa have known each other for a few months. He hangs out with the Black Dagger Brotherhood, and Marissa is an aristocrat who was once supposed to be mated to Wrath. They like each other, but Butch doesn't think he is good enough for her, and Marissa is dealing with her own problems because of the snobbery with the glymera (think the ton in regency historicals)
After Marissa's brother kicks her out, she is forced to go to the Brotherhood and ask for a place to stay. Of course, she is welcomed with open open arms. She and Butch have a bit of an on again off again relationship. She doesn't want him fighting with the brotherhood, and he wishes he could give her wants she needs. Mostly his blood, for feedings.

At the beginning of the book Butch was kidnapped and tortured by Lessers for 12 hours. He almost died, and then found out that the Omega had put a part of itself inside him. At first he thought he was turning into a lesser, but then we relalized that it was all part of the prophecy. I still haven't figured out if it's good or bad. The Scribe Virgin, who isn't at all mean in this book, doesn't seem worried.

Even though this is Butch's story, I was eager to read about John the most. I like him a lot. Looking forward to more of him in the upcoming books.

Every scene with Mr. X and that Van Dean guy was totally unnecessary. You can skip them without it effecting any of the story.

Something that made me laugh out loud happened on page 351. It was so funny that I got up out of my bed, grabbed a pencil and wrote down the page number so I would remember to mention it in my review.



"V?" Butch said. "Don't leave, Okay?"
"Never." V brushed Butch's hair back with a gesture so tender it was out of place coming from a male.


Um. LOL!!!! It would take all my fingers and toes to count the things that were 'out of place' between Butch and V. I'm all for some hot alpha male loving. Trust me, I'm cool with that. These two males are obviously bisexual. The dudes are in love! They so much as admitted it during the initiation into the Brotherhood. So now, instead of a love story for Butch and Marissa, I see it as a tragedy because I think that Butch and V belong together.

I hated the epilogue. JR ward should have used those pages to work on Butch and Marissa instead. The book was supposed to be about the two of them, was it not? Perhaps if she had paid more attention to the Hero and Heroine I would believe their love. As it stands, I do not.

I'm not even touching the ridiculous slang. The author has these huge alpha warrior Vampires talking like pimps on a street corner.


Bottom line. I'm sure that if this was a Butch/Vishous love story instead of a Butch/Marissa love story, I would have raved about the book.

Last, but not least. WHERE THE HECK IS TOHR? He better be back in the next book.
The other books...

7 comments

  1. Kris // 1:23 p.m.  

    There were alot of people who wanted more between V and Butch (me included).

  2. ~ames~ // 4:12 p.m.  

    Me too. I love man love. LOL

    Anyway, I'm also looking forward to John's story.

  3. Kris // 6:54 p.m.  

    I just read Kiss of Midnight today and it reminded me a lot of this series but without the slang.

  4. Isabel // 10:04 a.m.  

    I attempted to read this. I couldn't because of my dennis franz image.

  5. Mailyn // 1:08 p.m.  

    I'm not even touching the ridiculous slang. The author has these huge alpha warrior Vampires talking like pimps on a street corner.

    LMAO!!! MY complaint from the very first book and one of the reasons I can't stand this series no more.

  6. Chantal // 6:07 p.m.  

    Dennis Franz! omg, lol!! I totally forgot about that. LMAO.

    You know, Butch never came across as attractive to me. In my mind he wasn't as ugly as DF, but he wasn't good looking either.

  7. Devon // 7:42 p.m.  

    ITA about B/V. The relationship between B/M was never as compelling as the one between B/V. I bought them by the end, though. This was the weakest of the bunch, in my opinion.