The rest falls away by Colleen Gleason

Published by Signet
Grade: DNF

In every generation, a Gardella is called to accept the family legacy of vampire slaying, and this time, Victoria Gardella Grantworth is chosen, on the eve of her debut, to carry the stake. But as she moves between the crush of ballrooms and dangerous, moonlit streets, Victoria's heart is torn between London's most eligible bachelor, the Marquess of Rockley, and her enigmatic ally, Sebastian Vioget. And when she comes face to face with the most powerful vampire in history, Victoria must ultimately make the choice between duty and love.

When I first picked this up I had a few other books on the go, so I thought that my disinterest had to do with that. I stopped my other reads in order to give this one my full attention. I'm a believer in that if a book is well written, then I should not have to put everything else on hold to appreciate it. However, since everyone else loved this book, I thought I should keep on reading.

I can't do it anymore. I don't know if it's the use of 'whilst' & 'betwixt'. Although, proper back then. Those words are rarely used in historicals these days. I find them archaic.
Or, if it's the fact that all the Vampires in the book are the bad guys. I enjoy Vampires, and I hate knowing that every one is a villain. Can't say that I didn't know that about the book though. I just didn't think that it would bother me.

I did like how each chapter was named. I like that better than just the numbers. Plus the chapter name gives you a little hint about what was going to happen. A number of them had me laughing.
The rest falls away does not hold my attention. I made it page 165, and it's safe to say that I found it boring.
It's not that I hate it, like I do with every other DNF. This just isn't for me. Not my cup of tea. Not my style. It doesn't float my boat. Etc.

When I bought The rest falls away, I also bought Rises the night at the same time. Since I can't get through this one, I wont bother to start the next. I hope I can get something for them on Ebay. I can't find my receipt, so at $9.99 each, I lost out on $20. Damn.

9 comments

  1. Shelly // 10:28 p.m.  

    Everyone keeps telling me that I should read this one. It just doesn't seem to be something that will hold my attention. It's very, very rare that an historical paranormal grabs me and holds on. Sorry it was a DNF for you!

  2. Anonymous // 8:36 a.m.  

    You did yourself a favour by putting down.
    It is full of inconsistencies and the ending is tragic.
    They market it as a romance and thats just wrong.

    Blogger wont let me log in. This is Candice again.

  3. Isabel // 10:00 a.m.  

    You didn't like it? That sucks. I liked it and I'm reading the second one right now. Hope you get your money back.

  4. Anonymous // 2:52 p.m.  

    Finally. Yours is the first honest review of this book I have come across. You lasted longer than I did. I believe it was thrown against the wall around chapter four for me.

    I hated all of the 'whilst', too.

  5. Chantal // 4:21 p.m.  

    Hi Shelly, I love historicals, and I love paranormal, so I was really expecting to fall in love with it, as it's two of my fav romance genres in one.

  6. Chantal // 4:22 p.m.  

    Hi anon, why don't you think it really a romance? Just curious.

  7. Chantal // 4:31 p.m.  

    Hi Isabel, I have decided not to sell them yet. I'll just leave them on my shelves then try to start again in a few months or so.

    Hi Zeek, I have this huge grin on my face. Chanty is my fav nickname for myself.

    Do you have Rises the Night yet? If not, I can send you my copy to read.

    Hi Gloria, welcome to my blog.
    I didn't hate the book. I just couldn't get into it. I was easily distracted, and put off by some things, but I don't feel hate for it at all. Trust me, If I hated it, I would not be shy about posting about it.

    I'm glad you think my review is honest (as are all my reviews) But, I agree with Zeek. Not for one minute do I feel that any of the sparkling reviews I have read about it are not truthful.

  8. Anonymous // 3:40 p.m.  

    Think about it. Besides this one, all the reviews in blog land are from Gleason's friends, and blog buddies.
    You knew she would check out your review, zeek and that is why you wrote what you did.

  9. Anonymous // 4:54 p.m.  

    Who did Gleason have to sleep with to get it published.
    The book is that bad.