Broken

Posted by reviewer | 11:47 p.m. | , , , | 7 comments »

Broken by Megan Hart
Published by Spice
Grade: B++

My name is different every month—Brandy, Honey, Amy…sometimes Joe doesn't even bother to ask—but he never fails to arouse me with his body, his mouth, his touch, no matter what I'm called or where he picks me up. The sex is always amazing, always leaves me itching for more in those long weeks until I see him again.
My real name is Sadie, and once a month over lunch Joe tells me about his latest conquest. But what Joe doesn't know is that, in my mind, I'm the star of every X-rated one-night stand he has revealed to me, or that I'm practically obsessed with our imaginary sex life. I know it's wrong. I know my husband wouldn't understand. But I can't stop. Not yet.

Oh, my. Wow. I don't even know what to say. Broken touched me on so many levels. I cried, not once, not twice, but three times. Real tears running down my cheeks. I had to get up and get a tissue and blow my nose. This is a deep book, and I can't picture anyone not being affected by it.
Told in the first person, Sadie is a woman who meets Joe on a park bench on the first Friday of every month. Joe is a man on a mission. He sleeps with a lot of women looking for the right one. Each month he tells Sadie about one of the women he has been with, and each time, Sadie pretends that she is the woman in the story.

If you read the book description, it mentions that Sadie has a husband, so you are probably wondering why she is spending so much time with this other guy and pretending to sleep with him. The answer is that, Adam, her husband was in a skiing accident, and is paralyzed from the shoulders down. They have tried, but they can't make love. For the last several years Sadie has not been held or touched. As humans, we need that. As a woman, Sadie needs that.

Joe and Sadie do not cross the line physically, but Sadie does in her mind. She struggles with being faithful in the flesh, and cheating with her thoughts.

The scenes with Adam and Sadie had me enthralled. They fought, they made up, they talked, they made love as best they could. They hated each other, they loved each other. My emotions were twisted around right along with Sadie. I felt for her. Even though I didn't get to peek into Adams mind, I felt for him, too.

I can't say enough about this book. I called my aunt & my best and told them about it. I read several pages to my husband and even he wanted to hear more. My DH hates hearing about the books I read, so for him to want to read it means a heck of a lot.

Seriously, you need to read this.

7 comments

  1. Kris // 10:41 a.m.  

    Wow, that sounds like it would make me cry too. I will look for that one.

  2. Anne // 11:33 a.m.  

    I read this one and it was sooooo good. Beyond good. It was amazing. I, too, cried... and laughed, and wondered, and a whole lot of other emotional things. This book is the shit.

  3. Isabel // 12:34 p.m.  

    Sounds really good. I'll check that one out.

  4. Anonymous // 8:46 p.m.  

    You know, I've read about this one before and I have to admit that I'm a bit afraid to read it. I don't know if I want to go through all that frustration and hurt with the characters (does that make sense?). Is there ANYTHING uplifting about it?

  5. reviewer // 11:35 a.m.  

    Hi QB, it does not have the typical HEA ending, but it was a happy one. Sadie came full circle in her friendship with Joe, and I believe that they will have a good life together.

    As a reader, I like storybook endings. Marriage and babies to be exact.
    This book does not have that, but I still consider it a romance.

    I think you should read it :) I'd love to hear what you have to say about it.

    Izzy, Please do. You'll love it.

    Anne, your review is the one that made me want to read it. I'm still thinking about it!

    Hi Kris, you can buy it direct from Harlequin in the spice section. www.eharlequin.com
    Or the erotica section of a bookstore.

  6. AuthorM // 2:24 a.m.  

    made it here via Jennifer's review and your comment there...

    Thank you for reading Broken! I appreciate it, and thanks for taking the time to share what you thought.

    M

  7. Isabel // 12:21 a.m.  

    I read it. Wow. I'll work on a review soon.