Jane's Warlord

Posted by reviewer | 10:43 a.m. | , , , | 6 comments »

Jane's Warlord by Angela Knight
Published by Berkley Sensation
Grade: D

Reporter Jane Colby has seen a lot covering crime for the local paper, but the most recent murder is so brutal, it leaves even the most hardened detectives shaken. Jane and the cops don't know it, but the killer is none other than Jack the Ripper. Turns out all the theories about those Victorian murders were wrong:
Jack is actually a time-traveling cyborg psychopath named Kalig Druas.
Now he's in Tayanita County - and he's set his sights on Jane.
Luckily, so has Baran Arvid, a genetically engineered warrior from the future. Baran and his talking wolf sidekick have been sent to protect her - and use her as bait to
trap the killer. None of this is good news to Jane, but she finds having a
handsome bodyguard does have deliciously erotic benefits. Besides, Frieka the
wolf is a scream.
Unfortunately, so is Jack.


This was very hard to read. I made myself finish it because I really hate having DNF's.

Warlord from the future comes to the present to save Jane from Jack the Ripper. We all know that Jack the Ripper is a killer from the 1800's. In Jane's Warlord, the reason Jack was never caught is because he is a jumpkiller...Someone who jumps from year to year to kill. In the future there is a race of beings who pay the jumpkiller to rape and kill. He records it, and then his subscribers get to watch.

Jumpkiller has been paid to kill Jane. Baran is a warlord who has been sent to protect Jane. Between searching for and also running from the jumpkiller, there is a lot of sex happening. I love a good love scene, however, all but one of them were badly timed and out of place.

Jane has some internal demons when it comes to her dead father. He was a wife and child beater. In the whole book Jane wonders if her mother was killed by her father, or did she really just leave. It as played up so much but the answer never came out.

The author added in this talking wolf who was sarcastic and tried to be funny. The killings that took place in the book were very brutal, and the jumpkiller kept talking about how he was going to rape Jane. I don't know if the author was trying to lighten up the mood or what, but trying to add laughs to the book didn't work.

Unanswered questions, too many things that don't make sense, sex scenes just for the sake of sex makes this a D.

6 comments

  1. Anonymous // 2:26 p.m.  

    I'm totally embarassed to say that I'm pretty sure I read this book, but I don't remember ANYTHING about it. *blush* I really enjoy her Mageverse series but I can't recall much of anything about most of them either- just the last two heroes, Gawain and Kel. And that's not just AK, unfortunately that's true for all but my all time favorite books that I've read a few times. So I'm just going to take your word for it about Jane's Warlord.

    However, let me cryptically add... oooh, you're gonna be in TROUBLE!

  2. Chantal // 2:33 p.m.  

    I have a few others by the author in my TBR. I don't normally judge on just one bad book, so I'll read them.

    Trouble is my middle name, ;-P

  3. Kristie (J) // 8:54 p.m.  

    Yikes!! I really liked JW. Based on that I bought a few of her other books - but those ones I don't like.

    So *laughing* you just might like them.

  4. CindyS // 5:27 a.m.  

    Nope, I'm with Chantal on this one. I haven't read another of Knight's books because of this one but I know she is quite popular so maybe another will work for ya.

    CindyS

  5. Kris // 2:08 p.m.  

    That stinks that you did not like it. I have liked all of her books so far.

  6. nath // 11:52 p.m.  

    I don't really enjoy AK books :( I tried some and well, they were meh... I'm really staying far away from this author from now on.