Slave to sensation

Posted by reviewer | 12:59 p.m. | , , , | 8 comments »

Slave to sensation by Nalini Singh

Published by Berkley
In a world that denies emotions, where the ruling Psy punish any sign of desire, Sascha Duncan must conceal the feelings that brand her as flawed. To reveal them would be to sentence herself to the horror of “rehabilitation”— the complete psychic erasure of everything she ever was…. Both human and animal, Lucas Hunter is a Changeling hungry for the very sensations the Psy disdain. After centuries of uneasy co-existence, these two races are now on the verge of war over the brutal murders of several Changeling women. Lucas is determined to find the Psy killer who butchered his packmate, and Sascha is his ticket into their closely guarded society. But he soon discovers that this ice-cold Psy is very capable of passion—and that the animal in him is fascinated by her. Caught between their conflicting worlds, Lucas and Sascha must remain bound to their identities—or sacrifice everything for a taste of darkest temptation…



This is a series that I was hesitant to start. It's very popular among bloggers, and I have yet to see anything bad said about any of the books. I have a bad track record when it comes to these kind of books. The uber popular hyped up books tend to not be my cup of tea. I usually end up disappointed and a little bit mad that I let myself get sucked into something that wasn't as good as promised by so many.

I read Slave to sensation and I loved it.

Sascha lives in a world where babies and children in her race are conditioned to not have emotions. They are taught to feel no happiness, anger, guilt, sadness, love or anything else. The Psy leaders decided to go ahead and do that to their young in order to stop members of their race from killing others.

Occasionally the conditioning, or Silence, as they call it, does not work properly, so the Psy who feels anything or acts on emotion is taken into rehabilitation, where their minds are turned to mush.

Sascha is struggling with herself because she she has never felt like a 'normal' Psy. She knows that she is 'broken' and she hides it as best as she can. It gets harder and harder to do that because her mother is a powerful Psy who is a member of the council, and she would not think twice about turning in her daughter.

Lucas is the Alpha pack leader of the Panthers. Several female changelings have been kidnapped and murdered an he knows that the killer is a Psy. He goes into a business venture with Sascha and her mother in hopes of getting some insider information about the Psy who is killing the females.

It doesn't take long for Lucas fall for Sascha. He recognizes her as his mate, but she denies her feelings for him. As Psy she is not supposed to feel anything, but she knows that there is something happening to her.

As Lucas asks for her help in finding the killer, she spends more and more time with him. She tries to hide that she is starting to have feelings for him, but he and his pack wont let her pretend. They encourage to touch, love and feel.
I wont too much away, but Sascha is not a broken Psy. She is a special type of Spy that is rare and thought to have been extinct.

I am so happy that I read this book. Visions of heat (book 2) is in my TBR, and I wont wait long before reading it. Nalini Singh created an interesting world full of passion and intrigue. I found myself reading as fast as I could so that I would find out what happened next. Then I had to force myself to slow down as I did not want the story to end. Without hesitation an A+.

8 comments

  1. Holly // 2:57 p.m.  

    And it only gets better. :P

  2. Anonymous // 11:09 p.m.  

    Okay, I'm starting to get more certain I want to try one of these. EVERYONE seems to swoon over these books! But the blurb sounds so futuristic sci-fi that I just wasn't interested. Then I started noticing that readers refer to them as paranormals, not sci-fi. So, after asking questions about whether a non-sci-fi fan would like them, and now seeing that YOU liked that one so much, I think I'm going to take the plunge and give them a try, too.

  3. Stacy~ // 7:12 a.m.  

    Yep right there with ya. I loved this book.

  4. Chantal // 9:26 a.m.  

    WOOT! Glad to hear that, Holland.

    GB, I consider them both sci-fi and paranormal.
    Did you notice that ellora's cave has the LL Breed books listed under sci-fi?

    Stacy, I can't wait to start the next one.

  5. CindyS // 5:26 a.m.  

    qb - it is a sci-fi kind of world but if I can kinda figure out what's going on, then I think anyone can ;) I hope you like them if you try them.

  6. Anonymous // 11:04 p.m.  

    I just finished STS this weekend! I was a little aprehnsive about the series too...I'd pretty much burned out on paranormals. But I really enjoyed it. And I read a Historical as well (not one of my fav. genres)...it was a big weekend for me. :)

  7. ReneeW // 3:56 a.m.  

    I loved this one too. And I think I liked Visions of Heat a little better, if that's possible. Just bought Caressed by Ice and can hardly wait to start.

  8. Kris // 2:46 p.m.  

    I LOVE this series!!!!