Sex and the single ghost by Tawny Taylor

Published by Kensington
Why I read this: I bought it because I am a fan of the author's books at Ellora's cave. It's been sitting in my TBR pile for some time now, and I finally decided to read it because Nath was reading it, and I wanted to compare notes.

Nine years ago, Claire Weiss died, which put a serious crimp in her plans. Now, she's caught in Purgatory, waiting for that Big Day when she can reanimate and return to earth and have sex at last! Nine whole days of chocolate! Cute shoes! Real beer! And, most important of all, a chance to reconnect with the object of her long-denied lust, hunky Jake Faron. The minute she materializes in front of her favorite old haunt, er, bar, Devil's Night--complete in a Halloween get-up of lingerie and high-heeled mules--she locks eyes with Jake, who is as hunky as ever.

The rules are that Claire has nine days to investigate her mysterious death, solve the crime, and do good deeds for others (not as easy as it seems, people) before returning to Purgatory. But she also has nine hot, steamy nights to do absolutely everything she's ever dreamed about doing with Jake. And that's a good thing, because not only does Jake have a secret that could change her whole afterlife, but he's perfectly capable of showing a love-struck ghost plenty of heaven on earth...

Sex and the single ghost starts off with a funny prologue stating the rules of purgatory and what one must do in order to get out of it for a while. The first chapter was also pretty good. Claire is determined to take her nine days with the living and spend them in the arms of her crush, who she has not seen since she died nine years earlier.

Claire gets out of purgatory and finds Jake right where she thought he would be. They go off together and then spend the night having sex.

We soon find out that Jake is also a ghost who died right around the same time that Claire did. It's no shock that when he was alive he lusted after Claire as much as she did with him.

Sex and the single ghost has some funny moments, but between the boring story line and the drawn out sex scenes, I didn't enjoy reading it, so thats why I stopped. Each turn of the page got less interesting for me and even though there were several love scenes, there was only one that stood out to me. It involved a sex swing, and that is pretty much the only part of the story (besides the prologue and first chapter) that I paid my full attention to.

I'm bummed, because I wasn't expecting not to like this book. I cannot recommend Sex and the single ghost to my friends. DNF. I stopped reading it about half way through.

2 comments

  1. nath // 7:20 a.m.  

    Hey Chantal :) Sorry for the disappointing read, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the book wasn't great. Also, I think that the idea wasn't great... (ghosts being allowed to come back?!?) and I thought it did read a little bit like an erotica romance book...

  2. Chantal // 8:44 a.m.  

    Hi Nath, I truly was expecting something really good. I believe this was the first print book for the author, and I'm sad to say that it's now the 4'th time that a print book has bombed big time for me.
    Four authors who have written GREAT ebooks, then the cross on over to print has sucketh big time. I wonder why?

    Anyway, the author does consider the book to be an erotic romance, so you are right about that. Too bad it wasn't as good as her EC books.