A highlander for Christmas by Sandy Blair

Published by Zebra

Why I read this: I was in the mood for a holiday historical, and this is the only one I could find. I'll let it be known that even though the book spine says that the book is a historical romance, it is not. All parts, minus the prologue take place in our modern time.

‘Tis the season to be jolly—but Boston antiques dealer Claire MacGregor isn’t looking forward to a solo Christmas, or cocoa for one, or trimming the tree by herself. But company’s coming. Claire is fooling around with an old puzzle box and when it opens...a gorgeous, studly laird appears. Thumbs down: Sir Cameron MacLeod is centuries old. Thumbs up: he doesn’t look it. And Cameron is tall, dark, and lusty—very lusty.
Who is this lovely lass? And where is he? Before awakening in the 21st century in Claire’s bedroom, the last thing Sir Cameron MacLeod remembers was readying for war with a rival clan. Despite her strange clothes and odd ways, Claire is bonny and brave. He’s about to find out that love is a many-splendored thing indeed...

If I can have anything I want for Christmas, then I want the Hero of this book under the tree for me. A highlander for Christmas is about a Highlander who is frozen in time (not frozen, as in a block of ice, but more like suspended in time) he is accidentally freed by Claire. She is a sassy woman of our time, and she promises Cam that she will help him find a way to get him back to his own time.

Cam stays with Claire and he spends a whole lot of time getting into a whole lot of trouble. Cam, bless his sexy heart, is rather chauvinistic in a romantic way. He is aware that Claire is supporting him in every way. She is providing a roof over his head, she is feeding him, clothing him and he even though he appreciates her help, he is a manly man who comes from a time where the man is the one who is the sole protector and provider. He has a very hard time accepting that he can't take care of Claire properly, and when he tries to do things like hunt...at the zoo..in order to bring home food for her, it gets him into trouble with the law. So, once again Claire has to run to his rescue.

Cam is also dealing with the fact that in our time we have history books, and once he finds out exactly what happened to his family and village during time of war, he is deeply wounded and mourns the murder of his clan.

My only complaint about this book is the amount of times Cam said 'Ack' or 'hmph'. I'm aware that it's all a part of his personality, but I felt it was used too many times. It got to be distracting and I had feelings of negativity because of it.
I give A highlander for Christmas a B+ for being such a good romantic holiday read. I adore Cam's dedication to Claire, I had a good laugh at all of his antics and trying to figure out how things work in this era. Cam and Claire didn't just fall into bed together and then get married. The relationship grew at an acceptable pace and they had to not only work though Cam being a time traveling highlander, but they also had normal every day relationship problems that were dealt with properly.
*Sigh* I really want my very own Cam.

7 comments

  1. Dev // 10:58 p.m.  

    I could just kick myself ~ I actually talked myself out of getting this ~~ and I've wanted it ever since. I just have so many highlander books I didn't want to add to the pile. My mistake. Guess I'll be hunting this one down now for sure.

  2. nath // 9:23 a.m.  

    Okay, I'm defintively heading out to the bookstore tonight to get this book :D it sounds great :D Thanks Chantal!

  3. Lori // 1:30 p.m.  

    Sounds good, Chantal! I think I'll have to let Anne know about this one, too. She's on a Highlander kick *g*.

  4. Isabel // 1:37 p.m.  

    ok, you twisted my arm. I'll add it to my wish list. :)

  5. Jennifer Y. // 2:55 p.m.  

    I want a guy like Cam too. I really enjoyed this book.

  6. Anonymous // 5:47 p.m.  

    Well, damn, now I want to read it too. And there's Nathan on the cover as an extra added attraction!

  7. Chantal // 6:15 p.m.  

    I hope you all like the book as much as I did :)

    I don't like the cover at all. Cam is actually a lot bigger and sexier than Mr. Kamp. I was afraid that the cover would have discouraged people from buying the book.
    Glad to see that wont happen.