Naked in death

Posted by Chantal | 8:44 p.m. | , , , | 11 comments »

Naked in death in JD Robb
Published by Berkley

Why I read this: Holly made me.


Crime and punishment is Lieutenant Eve Dallas's business. Murder her speciality...Named by the social worker who found her when she was a mere child roaming that city's streets, Eve Dallas is a New York police detective who lives for her job. In over ten years on the force, she's seen it all - and knows her survival depends on her instincts. But she's going against every warning telling her not to get involved with Roarke, a charismatic Irish billionaire - and a suspect in Eve's latest murder investigation. But passion and seduction have rules of their own, and it's up to Eve to take a chance in the arms of a man she knows nothing about - except the addictive hunger of needing his touch.

Okay, Holly, you may go a head and say 'I told you so'. I did enjoy this book. I'll never doubt you again, my dear. I do have one complaint though-Now I have yet another series that I need to catch up on. How many books are there? Close to thirty, I think. For that, I will not forgive you. Like I needed to get hooked on yet another long series. Tsk tsk tsk.

Eve has been a cop for 10 years. She is on the case to find a killer who is murdering licensed companions. The killer uses a gun, weapons that have long since been outlawed, to shoot the prostitute in the head, chest and between her legs, after they have sex.

One of the suspects is Roarke. A very rich, very smug business man who quickly falls in love with Eve. After Eve rules him out as the killer, he helps her try to find the real murderer. They work rather well together.

Naked in death is a B+ from me. It didn't take long to figure out that Naked in death was not your typical contemporary read. It's actually set in the year of 2058. I was more interested in the world that the author created than I was in the actual love story. The story was fast paced and interesting. Even though I knew who the killer was all a long, it was still a good read.

I like Eve and Roarke. I like them together, but I felt that the relationship was forced. I do look forward to reading more about them in the rest of the series.

11 comments

  1. Holly // 1:42 p.m.  

    Tee Hee..I knew you'd like it. Isn't the world building amazing? I wasn't all that impressed with Eve and Roarke in this book, either, but as the series goes on I fall more in love with them.

    And yes, I know, having to catch up on 25 books sucks, but had you read this a year ago when I first told you to, you'd only have to catch up on 23 books. LOL J/K

  2. Anne // 2:09 p.m.  

    OMG, you're going to love this series. There are like 28 or 29 books in the series. I had the fantastic feat of reading them all last year when Jennifer B and Karen S recommended them. One of my faves of the series is Judgment in Death. When you get to that one, let me know what you think. Not sure why that one stands out amongst the others, but it does. Enjoy! I know I did and do!

  3. Kristie (J) // 8:38 p.m.  

    Sweet!! You're starting this series. One of the MANY things I adore about this one is how we see Eve change. In Naked she was pretty much alone until she meets Roarke. Oh she has Mavie & Feeny, but as the books progress, she begins to thaw out emotionally and allow love in. And love is a Capital four letter word when it comes to Roarke. I've said before that I've read them all now - well, except Creation - haven't gotten to that one yet - and the way JD Robb keeps these books fresh is truly amazing!

  4. Jennie // 11:01 a.m.  

    I was skeptical too when I started reading the J.D. Robb books. But I think they're huge bestsellers for a good reason. ;)

    Though I don't think I'll ever catch up with everyone. I'm only on number 6 or something...

  5. nath // 3:38 p.m.  

    welcome to the club Chantal :D Can't wait to see what you think of Eve and Roarke a bit later in the series :D my favorites are Conspiracy, Loyalty, Seduction and a couple of more :D

  6. Devon // 8:51 a.m.  

    I glommed these after I discovered them. I think there was ten or so at that point. I loved them. Then during my first pregnancy, during which I was extremely hormonal, the new Robb was Purity in Death, which featured some very unsavory characters getting punished for committing some very unsavory acts. I had to stop reading because it played into this whole "What kind of world am I bringing my child into?" thing I had going on. Too intense. And I haven't picked up another. I feel like I missed the train and it's left me behind.

  7. Stacy~ // 8:19 p.m.  

    I started the series when there were around 12 books, and bought them ALL. Haven't regretted it, though I'll admit I'm not caught up yet.

  8. Chris // 4:37 a.m.  

    Hi, I can't find any contacts on your blog. Can I ask you to send a note for me? My email is in profile.
    Thanks, Chris

  9. ErinPaperbackstash // 7:07 a.m.  

    I read some of her stuff in this series but can't remember it too well. I just thought it was average, I remember.

    I put you up as the next person for a MeMe in my blog!

  10. Chantal // 4:09 p.m.  

    Holly, your bullying paid off. LOL
    I hear that you are trying to make Ames read it, too. I'll help you harass her about it.

    Hi Anne, I wish I could read more than 2 books at a time. I want to read them all tight now.

    Hi Kristie, I'm interested in watching Eve and Roarke grow. I want to know about Eve's childhood.

    Jennie, at least you are further ahead than I am, lol

    Nath, do you think I should review all of them, like what I did with the Plum series?

    Hi Devon, get back on that train :)
    I'm also uber emotional when I'm pregnant. Crybaby, bitchy, bad hair. Sigh.

    Stacy, I wish I had started them a lot earlier.

    Chris, why?

    Erin, I read a few Nora Roberts books and found them boring. Thats why I didn't want to start in on any of her JD Robb stuff.

  11. Kris // 7:54 p.m.  

    I love this series!!!