Whispering Rock

Posted by Chantal | 6:36 p.m. | , , | 4 comments »

Whispering Rock by Robyn Carr (Book 3 in the Virgin River series)

Published by Mira
Why I read this: Once I start a good series, I must finish it :)
A decorated U.S. Marine reservist, LAPD officer Mike Valenzuela was badly wounded in the line of duty, but has found hope and healing in Virgin River. When he agrees to become the town’s first cop, he does so knowing it’s time he settled down. Twice divorced and the lover of too many women, he secretly longs for the kind of commitment and happiness his marine buddies have found – a woman who can tie up his heart forever. He finds that woman in Brie Sheridan, a Sacramento prosecutor who understands his drive to protect and serve. Virgin River becomes a safe haven for Brie after nearly losing her life at the hands of a crazed criminal. Though tough and courageous, she’s got some fears she can’t escape – but now she has someone who will shower her just what it means to trust again.
Mike will do anything to help Brie free herself from painful memories. Passionate, strong and gentle, he vows to give back to her what she’s so selflessly given him – her heart, and with it, a new beginning.


Brie is the sister of Jack, the Hero in the first book of this trilogy, Virgin River. Mike is a long time friend of Jacks.

After Brie is raped and beaten up, Mike sticks around to help out the family. He and Brie grow close, they talk on the phone every day, they meet for lunches, all the while keeping thier growing relationship a secret from Jack. It's not kept on the down low on purpose, they just don't bother talking to him about it as it's non of his business.

When he finds out that his best friend and his baby sister are dating Jacks freaks out. Mel sets him straight though.

During his courtship with Brie, Mike is trying to solve a problem. A date rape drug is making the rounds in Virgin River and teenage girls are the victims. Since the woman he loves was attacked by a rapist, Mikes desire in stopping it is personal as much as it is professional.

What I liked most about Brie and Mike's relationship is that it didn't happen over night. They had months of friendship and closeness with each other. They talked about many things, and listened to one another. When declarations of love happened I was thrilled for the two of them. They are a nice couple and they deserve happiness.

I give Whispering Rock a solid B. Robyn Carr certainly knows how to write a loving Hero and a like able Heroine.

The only problem I had with Whispering Rock, something the average reader wont even pick up on, but I did. I was a comment that Jack made to Mel...




"You have to wean David", he said. "Your body can't completely nourish two children. You'll get weak. You're already exhausted"


Okay, I understand that Jack is a caring husband, a loving father, but he isn't right. When it comes to breastfeeding, what he said to her is completely false. Very wrong.

I know this professionally and personally. I wont sit here and go on and on (although, I'm always willing to help a mother out if she needs it, so please drop me a note, I'll help out any breastfeeding mother who needs my services :)

I'll just say this-Breastfeeding while pregnant is perfectly safe. The body will nourish the pregnancy first and still have plenty left over for the nursing child. The only time I would not recommend nursing while pregnant is if there is a problem with the pregnancy, and even then there are many high risk pregnancy issues that don't call for a mother to wean. It all depends on nature of the high risk pregnancy. Exhaustion is not one of the reasons to wean.

Thats all.
This is my favorite line in Whispering Rock..


"You should never be afraid. Not while your my wife. It's my job to make sure you're never afraid."



Awww, isn't that sweet?

Something else I liked, which usually tends to bother me, were all the sub plots. There were several different sub-stories happening with various secondary characters in Whispering Rock. It worked out rather well. Robyn Carr does such a great job of making us love everyone, that I happily got emotionally involved in every thing. For the first time ever, I enjoyed all the subplots that a book had to offer.

This is an amazing series! If you haven't read it you need to do so. Right now!
Read my review of Virgin River


4 comments

  1. nath // 10:09 p.m.  

    Great review! It's fun how different things will tick you out :) well at least, I'm happy you enjoyed the series! I'm glad too that Mike and Brie took their time to get together :P too many stories have H/H falling in love in mere hours these days! Hours... how do you expect us readers to believe that it'll last forever?

  2. Nikki // 10:45 p.m.  

    I agree with everything you said. I love, love this series. I want to move to Virgin River (if there was such a place). This series reminded me of my favorite TV Show. Remember Northern Exposure? You may be too young--but it was about a small town in Alaska with all these quirky characters. So it would be like that but with all these hunky military guys moving in. I can't wait for her to continue the series...We may get a new book by the end of this year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Great review!

  3. ~ames~ // 9:49 p.m.  

    Woot! I'm so glad I got sick the other day and read VR. LOL I can't wait to read this book.

    My mom was breastfeeding my brother while pregnant. Then the pregnancy became high risk (placenta previa? is that how you spell it?) and she had to stop breastfeeding.

  4. Kris // 11:24 p.m.  

    Great review, chantal! I loved this series. I had wondered about that comment as well, but dismissed it. Thanks for sharing. :)