Succubus Dreams

Posted by Chantal | 9:59 a.m. | , , , | 4 comments »

Succubus Dreams by Richelle Mead
Why I read this: I loved the first book. I Hated the second, so I just had to see how the third would do.

Some days, a girl just can't catch a break...especially when the girl in question is Georgina Kincaid, a shape-shifting succubus who gets her energy from seducing men. First there's her relationship with gorgeous bestselling writer Seth Mortensen, which is unsatisfying on a number of levels. It's not just that they can't have sex in case Georgina inadvertently kills him (generally a turn-off for most guys). Lately, even spending time together is a challenge.Seth's obsessed with finishing his latest novel, and Georgina's under demonic orders to mentor the new (and surprisingly inept) succubus on the block. Then there are the dreams. Someone, or something, is preying on Georgina at night, draining her energy, and supplying eerie visions of her future. Georgina seeks answers from Dante, a dream interpreter with ties to the underworld, but his flirtatious charm only leaves her more confused - especially as the situation with Seth reaches crisis point. Now Georgina faces a double challenge - rein in her out-of-control love life, and go toe-to-toe with an enemy capable of wreaking serious havoc among mankind. Otherwise, Georgina, and the entire mortal world, may never sleep easy again...


In this installment of The Succubus books, Georgina has some more problems. Her relationship with Seth is on the rocks, something is sucking the life force after her every time she seduces a mortal for his life force. Instead of having that beautiful after sex glow she has after stealing some soul, she is tired, weak and doesn't look her best.

With the help of some of her Angel friends, they try to stop the being who is stealing her energy.

Georgina has really grown and come a long way from the way her character was written in the second book. I downright hated her in that book. The author seemed to veer off course from a great debut with the first book, and threw in a bunch of contradictions with the second. I am very happy to say that this third book, Succubus Dreams, is as great as the first one one--story wise.

Like other books by this author (including her Vampire Academy books) I do have a problem with her writing style. It would be nice if she could go one page without using an adverb.

Some authors (a few of my favourite actually) are SO good at weaving a great story, that they can get away with breaking basic English rules. Richelle Mead isn't there yet. This book was damn good, and I wanted to know what would happen next, so I just tried to ignore the intensifiers as much as I could.

Fans of Georgina Kincaide will love this book. I'm eager and excited for the next one, Succubus Heat, to hit stands this summer.

Succubus Dreams was a solid B for me. The plot was great, and there is one scene (okay, two scenes) where I actually had tears in my eyes. I said *oh my god* out loud, I was so shocked.

I liked it so much that the next time I am in a slump I'll be picking git up for a re-read.

If you have not started this series, then this is your chance.
The books are,
Succubus Blues
Succubus On Top
Succubus Dreams

4 comments

  1. Kris // 4:27 p.m.  

    I was not too crazy about the second one either. I am glad that you liked the third one more.

    Hope that everything is going well.

  2. Isabel // 3:26 p.m.  

    i still have to read the second one. Ugh! This one sounds good too!

  3. nath // 5:47 p.m.  

    Ugh, I still have to read the first one!!! but hey, I'm glad you're liking this one :D

  4. Chantal // 11:36 a.m.  

    Skip the second one. As long as you read the first one, then this one will makes sense to you.