Aftershock by Jill Shalvis
Why I read this: My book of the month for Nath's Re-read challenge.

If it hadn't been for the earthquake, Amber Riggs would never have made love to a perfect stranger. And no doubt about it, fire inspector Dax McCall was perfect! Who else could have taught her the meaning of passion at a time like that?

Still, when Amber ran into him a year later she wasn't sure how he'd react. She hadn't meant to keep the news from Dax.... But he'd been out of town, and she'd been sort of relieved. After all, how do you tell the perfect man he has a perfect baby girl with a woman he doesn't know from Eve?


I first read this book when it was released with Harlequin's Temptation line. I remember loving it at the time, but now, after reading it all these years later I find that I liked it rather than love it.

The premises is simple. A woman is trapped in a building with a man, they both think they are going to die, and cling to one another. They can't see what each other look like but they can feel each others bodies. They like what they feel because they end up having sex.

They don't die and she gets pregnant. She tries once or twice, half hearted, to contact him to let him know, but messages get lost, so he does not find out that he is about to be a father.

He runs into her one day, sees the baby and puts two and two together that he is the baby daddy.

Dax was fantastic. He stepped up immediately. He never doubted that the baby was his, and even though he was angry at Amber for not telling him, he didn't hold it against her for very long.
I was happy that Amber acknowledged both to her self and to Dax that she did not try hard enough to contact him, and she didn't try to come up with excuses about it. She messed up, she owned up to it and I respect her for that.

My problem while reading this book is that even though I liked it, my mind kept wondering to another Tempation book that had a similar plot that I wanted to re read.
Because it could not keep my full attention, I'm going with a C+. It was well written, the heroine redeemed herself for being dumb about not trying hard enough to contact the father, and Dax was wonderful. Hello, firefighter who is a wonderful dad and puts his baby and baby mama first.

It was a cute read. Give it a go :)

6 comments

  1. nath // 10:50 a.m.  

    Actually sounds like a cute book :) Think I could borrow it?

  2. Chantal // 10:55 a.m.  

    Of course :)

  3. Kristie (J) // 7:52 p.m.  

    Oh man I miss the Temptation line. I'm always on the lookout for Jill Shalvis' books in this line and though I've found some - not this one. It sounds quite interesting. I'll have to step up my search for it :)

  4. Renee // 10:22 p.m.  

    It sounds good! It's one of those scenarios that when not handled well, can be a disaster, but this one sounds well done. While I probably won't ever be able to find this particular book, it's reminded me that there are a few on Jill Shalvis' backlist that I've been wanting to read! :-)

  5. Kris // 11:08 p.m.  

    I have not read this one by her, it sounds cute, i will have to keep an eye out for it.

  6. Kate Diamond // 1:43 a.m.  

    I had forgotten that I read this book, but had a flashback as soon as I saw the cover!