Charming the Highlander by Janet Chapman
Why I read this: The back cover blurb sounded good.

When a plane crash strands brilliant scientist Grace Sutter on an icy mountaintop in Maine, she finds herself alone in the wilderness with the only other surviving passenger -- Greylen MacKeage,a sexy, medieval warrior who's been tossed through time to find the woman he's destined to love. Forced together to survive the harsh, wintry landscape, neither expects the fierce passion that flares between them. But Grace is not used to letting her heart take control, and Greylen will settle for nothing less than her heart's surrender....


There were a few things that had me excited to read this; highlander, plane crash, time travel.
I'm disappointed. That blurb is much too misleading.

I was wanting and expecting something similar to Linda Howard's Up Close and Dangerous, but with a highlander twist.
It wasn't even close.

Only two or so chapters covered the survival aftermath of the plane crash, so there goes the plot as described on the back cover that I was wanting to read.

Since I enjoyed a the other Janet Chapman books that I have read I figured I'd just read on. Even though it wasn't the story I was lead to believe, it could still turn out to be a good book, right? Sadly it didn't turn into a good read.

The story was all over the place. Heroine is to give her nephew to his father, but she doesn't want to (even thought she made a promise to her now dead sister) she lies about who the baby belongs to. There is a weird kidnapping plot that is inserted over half way in that doesn't fit the book at all. The heroine trying to help both her Hero and her sister's baby daddy, but there is resistance on both sides. None of it fit. It could have, though. But as it was, it felt like a bunch of different stories meshed into one.

DNF on page 272, however, I did jump to the end to skim the last few pages.

I'm not giving up on this author. I have the next few books in the series, which I do plan to read.

5 comments

  1. nath // 7:45 p.m.  

    I think Janet Chapman is hit or miss kind of author... but then again, i'm not a fan of highlander stories, so I would never pick up this one.

    Too bad you didn't like it :(

  2. Chantal // 11:04 a.m.  

    I had no idea you didn't like Highlander books.
    How come??

  3. nath // 12:41 p.m.  

    I'm meh on Highlander books... I usually associate Highlander with historicals... I'm starting to read them, but still not a fan.

  4. Rowena // 2:09 a.m.  

    This was a DNF for me too. I just couldn't get into it but some of my friends really enjoyed it. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that didn't care for this series.

  5. Chantal // 4:22 p.m.  

    Wena, I have the next 2 books after this one. I hope they are better.