Double Jeopardy

Posted by reviewer | 10:05 a.m. | , , , , | 10 comments »

Double Jeopardy, by Rachel Bo

Published by Ellora's Cave
Grade: D-

About the book:
Kendall Aaronson can't believe the incredible
attraction she feels for two young hunks, Joshua Reed and Sutter Campbell, the
first time they enter her shop. Soon, she finds it's an attraction she can't
resist! As their unique relationship heats up, so does the temper of Sutter's
father. When David Campbell threatens to destroy everything Kendall has come to
cherish, her strength and determination are the only things standing in his
way.



Oh my gosh, I don't even know where to start.
I guess I'll start with what I did like. The Heroine and Heroes have something that they call 'the bond'. They are able to project images and feelings to one another. It's great for them during sex because everything is intensified. I wouldn't mind reading some books that have that type of thing going on.

Now what I didn't like. Oh man.

First of all, the Heroine is fat. Like, fat-fat. Not plump or big boned. Fat. There was talk of lifting her belly. I shit you not.

Then he lifted her belly as well, his soapy fingers stroking the sensitive skin
just below her abdomen and above her bush.
That's not the only time there was belly lifting talk either.
I suppose it's my own fault. This book does have 'rubenesque' in the genre description. I should have Googled the word before I bought the book. Not that it would have done much good, though. I did a search for rubenesque, and everything I have read described the body type like Mae West. Pear shaped, ample breasts, soft-full lips and alluring curves. The Heroine did not come across as having a body like Mae West to me.

Bread sticks, pool cues and spaghetti were used during sex. Ellora's Cave made sure to make a note about the male/male scenes, but where was the 'unusual objects inserted into the vagina' warning?
I can't talk about it. I'm trying to forget.

The Heroine is 10 years older than the guys. I don't like it when the Heroine is older than the Hero, but I can live with it. The problem here was that the age differences were mentioned pretty often. Also, based on the way she spoke to and acted with the guys, it sounded like she was their mother. The only time I didn't get the 'parent' vibe from her was when they were having sex.

Sex. That brings me to my last annoyance. I never thought I would utter these words about this genre, but here I go...
There was too much sex.
There. I said it. I found myself skimming the sex scenes. There was just so much. For a novel I would have liked some more substance.
The book description mentions a problem with the father of one of the Heroes. Well, it wasn't till the end of the book that anything really happened with that. The Heroine, being the mommy figure I guess, took care of it with help from a friend. Not from her husbands. She treated them like babies through out the book.

I have a learned a few lessons. NEVER read a book that has a rubenesque person in it. Don't think that becuase a book has a lot of praise, that it's going to be a good read.

10 comments

  1. Nicole // 11:45 a.m.  

    OMG I just puked in my mouth. GROSS!!!! And I don't care who tells me that's mean to say. GROSS! No belly lifting stories for me.

  2. ~ames~ // 4:42 p.m.  

    I don't like older heroines, especially if they're dealing with younger men in a maternal way. blech.

  3. Kris // 6:29 p.m.  

    Sounds scary, I think I will pass, thanks.

  4. Devon // 11:10 p.m.  

    Belly lifting=no.

    Bread sticks and pool cues=no.

    Yuck!

  5. Devon // 11:12 p.m.  

    Oh, and I have to ask, did the heroine snack on the breadsticks at any point during the scene?

    Ok, maybe that's just mean.

  6. reviewer // 8:55 a.m.  

    @Jazzy, mean or not, I agree with you.

    @Ames, thats exactly how it was.

    @Kris, good plan!

    @Devon, lol! She didn't snack on it, but the guys did. They ate it right out of her. It was horrible.

    I am going to take a break from EC for a while. I'll still read the ones on me ebook TBR, but I wont buy anymore for some time.

    This book turned me right off.

  7. Isabel // 9:03 p.m.  

    Ummm, ewww. And that's all I have to say.

  8. Kris // 5:00 p.m.  

    I just thought about something, if it is a "rubenesque" book, then the cover is misleading.

  9. reviewer // 7:15 p.m.  

    Yep, very misleading. I have major buyers remorse over this one.

  10. Rowena // 7:50 p.m.  

    Pukey...yeah not reading this one.