Remember when

Posted by reviewer | 9:43 a.m. | , , , | 9 comments »

Remember when, by Judith McNaught

Published by Pocket books, April 2006
Grade: D+/C

About the book:
When multinational tycoon Cole Harrison approached
her on a moonlit balcony at the White Orchid Charity Ball, Diana Foster had no
idea how extraordinary the night ahead would be. Foster's Beautiful Living
magazine was her family's success story, and Diana knew that, single, childless,
and suddenly unengaged, she was not living up to its lucrative image of upscale
domestic tranquility. And now the pride of Dallas billionaires, Cole Harrison,
was closing in on her with two crystal flutes and a bottle of champagne...



The tall, lithe former stableboy couldn't negotiate
his way out of a contract with his crusty uncle, Cal - he had to bring home a
wife, and soon, or see Cal's share of the business Cole had created go to an
undeserving relative. A man as coolly analytical as he was arrestingly
attractive, Cole decided that his bride-to-be should be rich in her own right,
meltingly beautiful, and a woman of impeccable character...Diana
Foster!



It was the perfect solution to their respective
dilemmas, and, after a lot of champagne for Diana and some skilled persuasion
from Cole, their lips met in a long, slow, bargain-sealing kiss. Neither one
dared imagine that a match made in logic's heaven might be headed straight for
an unexpected, once-in-a-lifetime love...


Diana used to know Cole when he was the stable boy at her friends ranch. She had a crush on him, but never told him about it. They would talk a lot, and sometimes Cole would want to kiss her, but he never acted on it because not only was he 'the help', but he was also older than her.

About 15 years after she sees him for the last time he comes back to town and he is really rich. Diana is also successful having started a magazine kind like Martha Stewart. Diana has been publicly dumped by her fiance and her perfect world is slowly tilting sideways, because she is becoming forgetful and not paying attention to everyone around her. She is normally Ms. Perfect.

Cole is being forced by his uncle to get married and have babies. If he doesn't do it, then he wont get to stay in charge of the company that he has worked his ass off for. After Cole finds out about Diane, and then sees her at an auction he decides that she woudl be the perfect one to marry. He doesn't parented to be in love with her though. He tells her the truth about his uncle, and after a while she agrees to marrying him.

There are a lot of things I didn't like; 1) I never felt that Cole really loved her. Even at the very end. It didn't feel like a love story.
2) All the business talked bored me. I skipped the pages when it all started up. I tried to stay focused because it was important to the plot of the book, but I didn't understand it.
3)There was a time when they were younger when Cole gave Diana a gift. She seemed to treasure the gift when he gave it to her, plus it was also given to her the last time they saw each other, yet it was never mentioned again. It would have been nice for Cole to walk into her room and see the gift there or something.
4)We never found out Diana's reaction when Cole left the ranch. It was a sudden departure, and I'm sure that Diana would have had a reaction because she visited him so often, and she liked him.
5)I felt nothing for the characters. I didn't care if they laughed, cried or died.
One good thing I have to say is that I did like the first part of the book (when Diana was a teenager) Her relationship with, Corey, her new step-sister was sweet. I bet if the book had been Corey's story, it would have been better.

9 comments

  1. Holly // 3:39 p.m.  

    It's been a long time since I read this one, but IIRC, it was one of my favorites. Funny how we have such differing opinions sometimes but are right on at others, isn't it?

  2. ~ames~ // 10:22 p.m.  

    This was the first JM I read. I liked it enough to want to read more by her. It was also enough for me to have hope after the next JM I read (which was Kingdom of Dreams-BLAH gag gag). And Whitney, My Love.

    Hmm Ok-is this even a good author?
    LOL

  3. reviewer // 11:24 a.m.  

    Holly, were we just talking about this the other day? lol

    Ames, I think she is a good author. Whitney, my love is one of my favourites, but this one wasn't very good for me.

  4. nath // 8:18 a.m.  

    Hi Chantal :D

    I loved this book as well :P but I didn't think as much as you did when I read it, so i guess that's the difference :D it was also one of my first romance, so perhaps that's why :P

  5. Holly // 1:40 p.m.  

    Chantal, we might have been. LOL My brain is mushy.

    Ames,
    You picked up 2 bad books. W,ML and AKOD are the worst EVAH books. LOL

  6. Nicole // 12:38 p.m.  

    I LOVE A KINGDOM OF DREAMS! SHUSH HOLLY! Okay now that that is done. lol. I also love Remember When. I absolutly loved Cole! And If you want to read Cory's story get Simple Gifts (?is that the title of it?) it's a book of like 4 short stories, two McNaughts and two JD's. I can't even remember the title of the story now! Shit. My brain is mush. I've read all JM's books and pretty much love them all. Although WM,L irked me. But I still liked it, just the least of all.

  7. reviewer // 11:47 a.m.  

    Maybe I need to read it again? perhaps I will in the future.

    I like Judith McNaught very much. I wish she had a better website though.

  8. reviewer // 11:48 a.m.  

    Oh, and I when I read KOD, I'll make sure to review it, Jazz.

  9. Nicole // 12:12 p.m.  

    Yes cause we'll all be dying to hear what YOU thing.