Scent of roses, by Kat Martin
Published by Mira, July 2006
Grade: B

About the book:

Family counselor Elizabeth Conner isn't sure what to
think when Maria Santiago comes to her for help. Pregnant and terrified, Maria
claims to be visited each night by the ghost of a little girl, warning her to
flee.

Her husband, Miguel, a migrant
worker at Harcourt Farms, dismisses her fears as hormonal changes, but Elizabeth
agrees to help by contacting Miguel's employers who own the cottage where the
young couple lives.
Elizabeth immediately picks up on the deep enmity
between the two Harcourt brothers: Carson, the handsome scion running the estate
for his incapacitated father, and Zack, the rebellious black sheep.


While Carson is more interested in
Elizabeth than in her concerns, Zack grudgingly agrees to help her look into the
history of the house. But even as unexpected desire draws them together,
Elizabeth and Zack feel something dark and disturbing at the house, a cloying
scent and lingering chill of pure evil. Elizabeth knows something terrible has
happened here before, something that has its roots in murder . . .


Even though the love story was over shadowed by the mystery (a haunted house.) it was still pretty good. The ghost of a little girl has been visiting..and spooking the crap out of the pregnant 19 year old woman living in the house.

Liz and Zack are trying to find out the mystery behind the visits by the dead little girl, and at the same time they are sleeping together. Even though she was very attracted to Zack, it took him a while to get her to start and keep up a sexual relationship with him. She was married to a guy who cheated on her, so she had trust issues.

After the mystery is solved Zack acts like a total jerk and takes off. He never saw himself falling in love and when he fell in love with Liz, he got scared. Typical dumb male.

After 2 weeks, he finally tells Liz how he feels, and she forgave him way too fast, imo.
The sub stories with Zack and his parents, Zack's brother, and of course the the murdered girl are really good. It was a page turner till the very end, and kept me on my toes.

This is marketed as a paranormal, but like I said, it's just haunted house stuff.

5 comments

  1. Nicole // 10:16 a.m.  

    hmmm, sounds pretty good. I don't have this KM, so I'll add it to my list of library books to check out. But not for awhile I have 10 out now, and a shit load of my own books I want to read. Not to mention a few e-books. So it'll be awhile, but don't let me forget about this one.

  2. reviewer // 5:57 p.m.  

    Hey, I also have 10 check out!

    I like Kat Martin. I am almost done reading her whole back list.

    I'll give you a month, then remind you about this one :-P

  3. ~ames~ // 1:07 a.m.  

    I've never read Kat Martin before. And haunted houses aren't really my thing...

  4. Kris // 8:41 a.m.  

    I haven't read too many haunted house books, they can be fun. I love Date with the Other Side by Erin McCarthy, it cracks me up. Are the ghosts in this one fun or supposed to be creepy.

  5. Anonymous // 6:08 p.m.  

    Ames, Check some KM out of the library. This is the only haunted house type she has done.
    Her historicals are really good.


    Kris, this was creepy. A little girl was murdered and she was calling for help from the other side. The mother in me was pretty upset at the brutality she suffered. Thankfuly there are no deatails about it. Just a few lines to give us an idea about how she died.