Lover Eternal

Posted by reviewer | 3:02 a.m. | , , | 6 comments »

Lover Eternal, by J.R. Ward
Published by Signet
Grade: B- (Because of the way the brothers talk. It's worse than the first book)


Within the brotherhood, Rhage is the vampire with the strongest appetite. He's
the best fighter, the quickest to act on his impulses, and the most voracious
lover-for inside him burns a ferocious curse cast by the Scribe Virgin.
Possessed by this dark side, Rhage fears the times when his inner dragon is
unleashed, making him a danger to everyone around him. When Mary Luce is
unwittingly thrown into the vampire world, she must rely on Rhage's protection.
Knowing that Mary feels the same intense animal attraction, Rhage must make her
his alone...

In the second novel of the Black Dagger Brotherhood, we meet Mary, who hooks up with Rhage.
Rhage has been cursed by the Scribe Virgin. He has a big tattoo on his back and when ever he gets very angry or experiences pain he turns into a massive beast that attacks everything in sight.
Rhage is nicknamed 'Hollywood' by the brothers, because of his movie star good looks. He is also known as the ladies man among the group because he has sex with several woman a week.

When Rhage first meets Mary he feels attracted to her right off the bat. Their first meeting takes place when he is blind, having just come out of his Beast form. He hears her voice and it calms him down and makes him feel better. From then on Rhage is intrigued with her and spends as much time with her as he can. Mary doesn't get why a sexy man like him wants to be around here.

Mary finds out pretty early on that Rhage is a Vampire, and even though she has feelings for him, she keeps her distance. She had cancer a few years earlier and now it's come back, so she doesn't want to get involved with anyone, or have them watch her get sick.

What I liked best about this book is that Rhage falls in love first, and he tells her over and over again how he feels. I'm a sucker for a sexy Vampire who chases after the woman he wants.
I did get pretty annoyed with him at one point when he kept pushing Mary to open up and talk to him about her illness. They got into a fight over it and he swore at her. Holy cripes guy, give the girl a break. She just met you, you wont leave her alone, she is dieing, Lessors are after her, and you haven't even told her yet that you turn into a Dragon! Chill!
Needless to say that I was disappointed that it was Mary who ended up being the one who gave in on the issue. I wish he would have been more understanding.

Can I once again mention the way the brothers talk? It's very distracting! I come to loath when the brothers have scenes together because they way they talk is ridiculous. I tried really hard to ignore it, but it's very overwhelming.

Rhage is a true Hero. He sacrificed his own happiness so that the woman he loves could live a full healthy life.We also learn that Rhage isn't the sex addict playboy that every one thinks he is. His reasons for having so many women make you feel bad for him.

Boy, that Scribe Virgin is a real bitch. I'm glad that at the end she let Mary and Rhage be together, but holy crap, she is mean!

The Black Dagger Brotherhood is a great series, and I can't wait to read the rest of the books.
Read my review of the first book Dark Lover.

6 comments

  1. ~ames~ // 11:41 a.m.  

    Mary got on my nerves in this one. And the SV is a bitch. Ugh. LOL

  2. Holly // 3:51 p.m.  

    Seriously? You thought RHAGE needed to chill? Oh hell to the no. It was Mary who needed to be bitch slapped...twice. She drove me up the freaking wall.

    Yes, I understand that she was ill and had issues, but after all the sacrifices he made for her, her still pushing him away drove me freaking batty!

    Ugh.

    And you know, I think I'm the only person on the planet who has no issue with the Scribe Virgin. LOL She doesn't bother me in the least.

  3. reviewer // 5:50 p.m.  

    Holly, I love it when you say "Oh hell to the no" Cracks me up every time, lol

    I'm shocked that I felt so annoyed with Rhage, because I like him a heck of a lot. He is super sensitive..but not is a corny sickly sweet way. He is nice, strong, sexy, and like you said, sacrificed so much for Mary.
    However, that one scene stuck in my mind and bothered me. I'm not sure why it did. Reading the book I didn't feel much for Mary. In fact, the only time I paid much attention to her is when they fought.

    So yeah, I wont hold you back if you get a chance to bitch slap her, lol.

  4. reviewer // 5:53 p.m.  

    Ames, I'm going to start the third book in the next few days.
    I'm stuck on reading series books lately.

  5. Holly // 1:41 p.m.  

    Ok, but what about the fact that he took a whipping for her and she STILL pushed him away? WTF?

    Argh. Ok, I'm done now. LOL

  6. reviewer // 1:55 p.m.  

    Nono, Holly, you are right. He went through so much for her, and she did keep on pushing him away.