Drop dead gorgeous

Posted by Chantal | 10:14 a.m. | , , | 4 comments »

Drop dead gorgeous by Jennifer Skully
Published by HQN
Grade: C

Certain that she will depart this world at the tender age of twenty-eight, Madison O'Donnell is determined to experience breathless, passionate love in the two weeks left to her, no thanks to her stuffy boss, T. Laurence Hobbs! T. Laurence is the perfect tax accountant, a man who likes his ducks in a row and his numbers in a column. But there is no way he will sit by while the lovely Madison throws herself at the absolute wrong man. If the only way to save Madison from herself is to make her fall madly in love with him, then it's up to T. Laurence to make it happen. And as he turns his number-crunching skills to capturing his sexy secretary, he's beginning to think that there is more to life than death and taxes!

The first time I read this it was a DNF. It was just too boring for me to get through. I was able to get through it this time, but it wasn't all that great. The story is pretty typical..Boss is in love with his secretary, but she likes someone else.
We have all read that story line a million times.

In Drop dead gorgeous, Madison has never been in love. She is convinced that she will die at the age of 28, and she is determined to fall in love and have a hot affair before them. She hopes to make that happen in just 15 short days.

T. Larry is Madison's boss. He is a tax accountant, wears glasses, and has a big bald spot on the top of his head. I enjoyed his personality and I'm a sucker for a Hero who is possessive or jealous, so I would start to like T . Larry, but then a reminder of his old man bald spot would come up, and I'm reminded of how unattractive he is.

I'm not too sure how I feel about Madison. She is very nice and comes off smart, but she is also rather stupid. She is being stalked. The identity of the stalker is painfully obvious. My 4 year old could figure it out who the stalker is.
Madison ignores every warning until it's too late. I don't know why authors have to turn such nice, smart Heroines into such stupid dimwits. It ruins the book. If the story is going to be one that is very common with a predictable ending, then at least make sure the characters are snazzy enough to keep the reader going.

It was just okay.

4 comments

  1. Nikki // 3:10 p.m.  

    She is an "okay" author for me. She is kinda funny but in a light kind of way. Good Review.

  2. nath // 4:37 p.m.  

    that sucks cos I have this in my TBR pile. Actually, the more typical storyline that I've read a million times is secretary in love with boss who's in love with someone else :P

  3. Kris // 8:33 p.m.  

    Have not read this one and it is not on my tbr list so that sounds like a good thing.
    Sounds like one i might pick up from the library if I had nothing else to read.

  4. Brandy // 7:05 p.m.  

    I couldn't finish it. Didn't even make it 50 pages in. I did pick up another of hers, it's in my tbr stack.
    Thanks for the review.