Her best friends lover
Published by Ellora's Cave
Grade: C

Dale loves women, and they love him. His love life is a revolving door. No one special, no one stays, except Lauren, his best friend. She's a sweet, beautiful, talented woman. His rock, the steadying influence in his life. So why is he starting to see her differently? Where are these lustful thoughts coming from? Guys don't sleep with their best friends.

Lauren has loved Dale for five years, from the moment she saw him. She loves his smile, his walk, his deep, sexy voice. But he isn't in love with her. She's his pal, his confidant. Until one hot, steamy night…

I have not read too many friends to lovers book, so that it what attracted me to this book. When I first read it there were a number of things that had me complaining to my husband.
A nurse saying that the Heroine is 9 inches dilated when she was in labor. Um 9 *inches*? That should be cm, not inches. Waiting 6 weeks before having sex after the baby is born-talk about outdated advice. The OB suggesting monthly ultrasounds in order to watch the growth of the baby. OB says that Heroines birth canal is small, so a baby over 8 lbs with have to be a c section. WTF? THEN the dr wants biweekly ultrasounds. Holy crap! Seriously, I know pregnancy and childbirth-trust me. All that stuff is just so wrong wrong wrong. AND my number one pet peeve when it comes to Heroines is when they don't tell the dad when she gets pregnant. ARGH!!!! The kicker here is that the dad does know, and he loves her, and he wants the baby. He WISHES the baby was his, but she doesn't tell him.
The amount of miscommunication going on with this couple-oy! Seriously, the first time I read this, it was a DNF.

Lauren has been in love with her next door neighbour for years. As beautiful as she is, Dale only sees her as a friend. His buddy. One night Dale gets very drunk, and the two of them end up having sex.
The next morning Dale does not remember.
A few weeks later Lauren finds out she is pregnant. Dale is mad because he wants to kick the ass of the guy who knocked her and left her. She doesn't tell him that he is the guy.

She is sick with morning sickness a lot, and Dale helps her out. He spends lots of time with her, and starts to wonder why they never dated. He end sup falling in love with her, and they get married. She still doesn't tell him that he is the dad.

They have the baby. Dale loves his daughter and feels jealousy about the 'other guy' Dales wishes that he was the biological father.

6 weeks after the birth is when it's all out in the open. Dale is very angry. Understandably!

They do a lot of talking and work through it. Correction-Dale does the talking. He forces Lauren to communicate with him. Otherwise, they would never get it worked out.

In the end Dale understands why Lauren lied to him. I don't though. So Lauren was left by her own parents, and growing up in the foster system sucked. Millions have people have a crappy childhood. Thats no excuse.

C+ because since I read the book the whole way through this time, I found out that she ended up birthing vaginally after all. As much as Lauren sucks, I really like Dale. He is an awesome hero! You can't beat the love scenes either. Hot, hot hot! Something that is important to me when I read is that I believe the love. As much as don't like the Heroine I believe their love.

3 comments

  1. Nikki // 3:12 p.m.  

    Best Friend books are some of my favorites, but this heroine sounds TSTL. Why in the world couldn't she tell the guy it was his kid? There is no way to justify it!

  2. Kris // 8:36 p.m.  

    I agree with nikki. I love best friend books but I don't know if I would have finished this either.

  3. Rowena // 8:40 p.m.  

    I love best friend books, those are my favorite storylines! I agree with the other two, I mean, they were good friends, no? Why not tell him.