Ladies' man

Posted by reviewer | 10:15 p.m. | , , , | 2 comments »

Ladies Man by Suzanne Brockman

Published by RH audio

The moment she spies the rugged hunk in the faded jeans at the airport, Ellen knows she should run for cover. Instead, she throws caution to the wind and plunges into a sizzling affair with the gorgeous cop. Between romantic dinners, sensual limo rides, and a perfect night of passion, Ellen is living every woman's fantasy. Until she's caught in the sights of a deranged stalker, and the divorced single mother is suddenly turning to N.Y.P.D. detective Sam Schaefer for her very survival.…Soon Sam's taking a bullet meant for Ellen, and racing against time to stop a killer from hitting his target. Keeping Ellen safe will take everything he's got. Earning her trust could be a mission impossible, as two wary hearts team up for a summer they'll never forget - and a sizzling adventure that could get them both killed…or give them everything they've ever wanted.
Ellen is an English professor at Harvard. She goes to the airport to pick up a relative, and while she is there she meets Sam. Sam is a police detective, but he doesn't seem to be all that good at it. He questions himself because he doesn't feel that he has very good instincts.
Sam and Ellen find out that that they are at the airport to meet the same person. Said person ends up going home with someone else, and that leaves Sam and Ellen to ride home alone together. They are both very attracted to each other and after getting stuck in a traffic jam, they have sex in the back of the limo.

Sam is totally smitten with Ellen. He thinks that she is the most beautiful sexy woman he has ever laid eyes and he calls her first thing the next morning. As much as she likes him, Ellen decides that she isn't going to see him again becuase he is too young for her.

Sam is annoyed and upset that Ellen wants nothing more to do with him. He moans about it to his best friend. His best friend is a famous author who is writing the biography for Ellen's uncle who happens to be a famous TV personality.

Sam is able to get back into contact with Ellen after he is asked to investigate some phone calls and letters that Ellen's uncle has been getting from a crazy fan. Sam thinks that the letters and calls are really meant for her, so he decides to move in with them while he investigates. Of course, they grow closer with him being so near all the time.

I sat on this review for a few days before I wrote it up because I didn't want to write a bad one right after a DNF. Although I can't say that this was a bad book. It just wasn't very good. I'm going to go a head and give it a C.
Sam and Ellen's age difference was pounded into the readers head over and over again. Sam was so incredibly insecure, and instead of coming off as sensitive I felt that he was wimpy. The whole stalker storyline was boring, and the big twist with it was one that I saw coming a mile away. Even the secondary characters didn't do much for me.

This author is very popular and I do have another of her books in my TBR. I think I'll wait awhile before I start on it. I need to recover from this one first.

2 comments

  1. Anonymous // 11:53 a.m.  

    You know I have this in my TBR pile. I haven't read anything but her two Navy SEALS series. Which I really enjoy. Maybe I'll hold off awhile longer on this one......

  2. Rowena // 4:35 p.m.  

    I think I liked this book and Sam...but I remember hating his damn beat up sneakers, haha.

    Great review sweetie.