Vampire Academy

Posted by Chantal | 11:20 a.m. | , , , | 3 comments »

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Published by Razorbill
Why I read this: Well, I love Succubus Blue, but did not like Succubus on Top. I thought this might be a good tie breaker.

St. Vladimir's Academy isn't just any boarding school--it's a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They've been on the run, but now they're being dragged back to St. Vladimir's--the very place where they're most in danger. . . .

Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy's ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi--the world's fiercest and most dangerous vampires--make Lissa one of them forever.


Vampire Academy is a young adult book that I almost didn't finish. It was hard to get into, started off pretty boring actually. However, I stuck with it, and it did get better.

The summery is rather accurate, so I don't need to re-hash it here.

I liked Vampire Academy because it was different than any other paranormal book I have read. It's not your typical Vamp storyline, which was a refreshing change. All the characters are interesting, likable, and once things picked up, then the story itself had a good flow to it.

I'll give it a C/C+. The writing wasn't very strong. It contained more ly-adverbs than was necessary. Thats something that always annoys me. It just screams amature author which surprises me, becuase Succubus Blues had such good writing.

The friendship between Rose and Lissa was heartwarming. It reminded me of my best friend, and that put a smile on my face :)

If you want to read a young adult book with a bit of a twist on the Vamp front, then this is the book for you.
However, if sloppy writing is something you can't get past, then skip this one. Try Succubus Blues instead. (SB is not YA though.)

3 comments

  1. nath // 9:51 a.m.  

    I have this one sitting in my TBR pile too. Come to think of it, I still haven't read SB! ^_^; Maybe it's because it was written for YA, so that's why the writing is not that good?

  2. Anonymous // 9:07 p.m.  

    saw the next book at the store. Frost Bite? I think that is the title. not that I will be reading it, I didn't like vampire academy.

    Surprised that you like it actually.

  3. Kris // 6:08 p.m.  

    I remember this one. I remember that i liked it because it was different. It was not the best thing I had read but it was a nice change in plot.