Dark Lover. Again

Posted by Chantal | 9:30 a.m. | , , , | 10 comments »

Dark Lover by J. R. Ward
Why I read this: I picked this book for the re-read challenge.

With the hype of the next BDB book that is out soon, I felt the need to refresh my mind with Dark Lover. Imo, as many flaws as it has, it's the best book of the series.

Click here to see my review from the first time I read it.

The only purebred vampire left on the planet, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But when one of his most trusted fighters is killed- orphaning a half-breed daughter unaware of her heritage or her fate - Wrath must usher the beautiful female into the world of the undead…

Racked by a restlessness in her body that wasn't there before, Beth Randall is helpless against the dangerously sexy man who comes to her at night with shadows in his eyes. His tales of brotherhood and blood frighten her. But his touch ignites a dawning hunger that threatens to consume them both…


Reading this book a second time had a few highs and lows. It was wonderful to see Wellsie again. She never had very big parts, but she was a much loved Shellan and I enjoyed her character. As much as it was nice to see her again, I also felt the same anger that went through me when she was murdered in a later book.

During this re read I skipped all the the lesser POVs because they were boring. You can not read a single word of the Lesser POVs and not miss out on any of the story. I'm not sure why the lessers have their own pages. They are not needed.

The BDB speaking terms were still hard to read, but having read all the BDB books to date, it's not like I didn't know what I was getting myself into.

It was interesting to re read the friendship between Butch and V from the start, now that I know what I know happens in future books. Just like the murder of Wellsie and her baby, I think that not putting Butch and V together as a couple was a mistake.

I enjoyed reading Dark Lover again. It's the best book of the series, and did a great job sucking me into the rest of the books. With each new installment I keep hoping that the books will be as good as Dark Lover. It hasn't happened yet.

The first time I read this book I gave it a B. I'm going to knock it down to a C+. Dark Lover is entertaining and I do recommend it to all. I will more than likely re read it again, but like I said, it's very flawed. And the fact that I skip over parts isn't good. To mark it higher would feel like a lie.

10 comments

  1. CindyS // 6:13 p.m.  

    I would have to re-read again but seeing Butch as he was originally might be the death knell. My favourite was Z's book.

    I'm going to see if you have a review of the 5th book - I haven't read it yet but wondered if skimming over the lessers and anything else that bore me would be a problem.

    CindyS

  2. CindyS // 6:16 p.m.  

    It sucked. Got it ;)

    Cindys

  3. Isabel // 11:42 p.m.  

    I remember loving this book when I first read it. I should do a reread and see if I feel the same.

  4. Anonymous // 9:17 a.m.  

    I gave DL a 3,5/5 (C+) when I read it because of the flaws. But they never bother me much with Lover Eternal (as shown by my grade LOL). You're much more objective. :)

  5. Kristie (J) // 9:49 a.m.  

    Yea, the Lesser part seemed very unnecessary in this book. Still I quite liked though I didn't get caught up in the Ward addiction. I've only read 2 so far though I think I have the next 2 somewhere in the TBR pile.

  6. Tracy // 4:16 p.m.  

    I've re-read this book probably 3 times since the original read and I still love it. I'd definitely still give it a 4 out of 5 stars. Ward should have stuck with her romances after the first 3 books though.

    Good review!

  7. nath // 12:06 p.m.  

    I think that Dark Lover is the best of the series. I remember reading Eternal Lover first because of the buzz and once i read Dark Lover, I thought it was sooo much better. Too bad the series didn't hold up.

  8. Jace // 2:45 a.m.  

    I read LOVER ETERNAL first, then went out and bought DARK LOVER and LOVER AWAKENED. I loved LE and LA, but DL was just so-so. Hmmmm ... I should re-read these 3 and see if I still feel the same about them. :)

  9. Chantal // 8:55 a.m.  

    I'm tempted to read Rhage and Mary's story now.

  10. Holly // 1:39 p.m.  

    I'm a dumbass. Just ignore my question in my last comment about this book, m'kay?

    I should do a re-read, too, to see if I'd feel differently about this book now. I'm afraid my enjoyment would be completely overshadowed by my disappointment with the rest of the series.

    I agree that this was the best book of the series and if she goes back to writing like this I'd pick them back up again.