The Lost Duke of Wyndham

Posted by Chantal | 10:40 a.m. | , , | 12 comments »

The Lost Duke of Wyndham by Julia Quinn
Why I read this:
It's Julia Quinn! There is never a reason not to read her books.

Jack Audley has been a highwayman. A soldier. And he has always been a rogue. What he is not, and never wanted to be, is a peer of the realm, responsible for an ancient heritage and the livelihood of hundreds. But when he is recognized as the long-lost son of the House of Wyndham, his carefree life is over. And if his birth proves to be legitimate, then he will find himself with the one title he never wanted: Duke of Wyndham.

Grace Eversleigh has spent the last five years toiling as the companion to the dowager Duchess of Wyndham. It is a thankless job, with very little break from the routine... until Jack Audley lands in her life, all rakish smiles and debonair charm. He is not a man who takes no for an answer, and when she is in his arms, she's not a woman who wants to say no. But if he is the true duke, then he is the one man she can never have...



Let me say it right now I LOVED THIS BOOK! I loved Jack, I loved Grace. I even loved the grumpy Dowager Duchess.

Julia Quinn did a fantastic job of writing characters that were easy to fall in love with. Jack was simply amazing. His sense of humour, his loyalty, everything about him had me wishing that he was mine. Jack is definitely at the top of my list for a favourite hero.

I felt so positive reading this book. It was touching on so many levels. And boy, did it make me giggle time and time again. The dialogue between Jack and Grace, and then Jack and his grandmother is some of the best I have ever read.

She was for sure a miserable old thing, the Dowager, and Jack told her so, right to her face. I loved it.

All through out the book it shows that Jack does not want to be Duke. At first, I didn't understand his reasons, they seemed rather meek to me, then at end, it all came out, and a light bulb went off.
Spoiler...







Jack was afraid that he would ruin the estate becuase of the fact that he cannot read. He was so worried about it, that he tried to deny he was Duke, even after it was proven that he is the rightful heir. That was an emotional scene for. Very well written.

After they are married, Grace tries to help him with his reading but nothing she tried worked. Nowadays, Jack would be diagnoses with dyslexia. Back then, there was no such term, so there was no way for Grace to know the proper way to help him.
End spoiler..







I'm happy I read this. It put a huge smile on my face. I'm eager for the next in the series.

Julia Quinn has put out another A book. The Lost Duke is a page eater for sure :)

12 comments

  1. Lori // 4:49 p.m.  

    So with you. I LOVED this one. Great dialogue, wonderful characters - Jack was a terrific hero. I loved that he knew Grace was the one or him early on, and said I love you first.

    I'm really sad that a lot of people aren't thrilled with the next one. I've got it on the way, and I can't wait to read it from the other perspective.

  2. Marg // 8:01 p.m.  

    I too loved this book and I am looking forward to reading the next one. Hopefully it will arrive some time next week.

  3. Dev // 9:30 p.m.  

    I loved this story!! I absolutely cannot wait until next week to buy Mr. Cavendish.

  4. Kristie (J) // 10:42 p.m.  

    I haven't read Quinn for a while but I have this book and I'm looking forward to getting back into her books.

  5. Jill D. // 7:47 a.m.  

    I just won this one and Mr Cavendish at The Book Smugglers. I can't wait to read them. Great review!

  6. Chantal // 10:29 a.m.  

    Hi gals,

    I'm glad you all liked it, too. (and as for those who have not red it-read it ASAP :)

    Nath, sounds like a plan!
    xoxo

  7. Isabel // 11:41 a.m.  

    I really liked this one too. That grandma was a hag though! lol.

  8. Chantal // 2:40 p.m.  

    Oh, Nath, scratch that. I'm getting the ebook version instead.
    I'll still do the buddy though. :)

  9. nath // 11:17 a.m.  

    LOL :) Cool :) I'm reading it right now :) When you're done, just email me :)

  10. Stacy~ // 7:08 a.m.  

    I really loved this book too. Totally adored Jack,and Grace was so wonderful. It was a wildly romantic read.

    I didn't hate the 2nd book, it just wasn't quite as good because of the different perspective of the same scenes from book 1.

  11. Rowena // 10:43 p.m.  

    Oh goodness, I frickin' LOVED this one too! So frickin' good...and I know waht you mean about Jack, I seriously loved him, he made this book for me. LOVED HIM.

    Great review sweetie!

  12. Anonymous // 12:35 p.m.  

    Great work.