Mercury’s War by Lora Leigh
Why I read this: I'm addicted to the Breeds.

Someone has been slipping the Sanctuary’s secure information to a pharmaceutical company. Now it’s up to Ria Rodriguez to pose as a clerk and uncover the leak. Yet she has no idea of the danger

she’s about to encounter—or the passion she’s about to ignite in one of the greatest Breeds ever created.



This Breed book is much like the others, plot-wise. There is either someone trying to bring down the Breeds, kidnap the Breeds, kill the Breeds, spy on the Breeds Etc. Breed readers know what I mean.
I'm not complaining. I like how the stories go and follow each other. Consistency is good in a series.

The hero/heroine conflict in this book is that it's thought by both Mercury and Ria that Mercury was supposed to have been mated to a different woman. That was thought to have died. So they were not able to go through the mating head and bond to each other.

When Mercury and Ria do start to show signs of mating to each other, Ria is convinced that the heat he has is for someone else. Even though she accepts him as her mate and aches for him, she feels like second best.
For those who are confused-Breeds can only mate once, however, they can have mate-like tendencies to anyone as long as they have not physically gone through the mating heat with a specific person.

I had always been under the impression that a Breed could only share the hormones from his tongue with a mate that nature picked for them. According to this book, it does not have to be nature's mate, but the real mate will suffer if the one meant for her mates with someone else.

That is why Ria was feeling bad after the mating. She was convinced that she was not really the one nature meant to be mated to Mercury.

I did enjoy this book. There were a few minor issues. The first being that Ria was drinking so much coffee during her heat. Every other Breed book has the women avoiding coffee because it makes the pain of heat so much worse. In this book there is one line mentioning that she should not be rinking coffee, but it felt to me like that line was just thrown in there as an after thought.

Also, it's mentioned through the book how Mercury's nail are actually claws. Although they are blunt, they are still claws (Because Mercury is more lion than man in appearance) At one point during the story, he uses his blunt nails/claws to rip apart off all Ria's clothes. If he can shred clothes, then why the heck was he fingering her so much? Seems to me she would have been torn up. Just sayin'.

3/4 of the book was awesome. The story was engaging, entertaining, and even though it lacked anal, (Lora Leigh writes anal so good!) there was lots of oral to make up for it.

The last 1/4 took a negative turn, imo. There was this big twist about Ria that came way out of left field, and honestly, it was not at all believable, and I actually put down the book for a bit, not because I had to do something, but because I needed to roll my eyes a few hundred times to work out the annoyance I was feeling.

All in all, it was a good Breed book. It wasn't the best, it wasn't worst. I give it a C+. That twist with Ria brought it down for me.

For Jonas fans, he is in this book a lot. Yay. I have a sneaking suspicion that Dr. Ely might be his mate. I'm not too sure how much I would enjoy a book with her as the star of it. She is in most of the books, but I don't like her that much.

2 comments

  1. Kris // 10:31 p.m.  

    I finally got the read this book. I LOVED it, one of my favorites if not the favorite in the series.

  2. Chantal // 9:26 a.m.  

    Omg, 2010!
    Thats just MEAN.

    I'm glad that Ely wont be his mate. I find it icky.